Chapter 34

Waking up the next morning I feel a lot better than I had for the past few days, reaching over to Ares' side expecting him to still be in bed, I find it empty and obvious it's not been slept in. Sitting up quickly, I pull on the shorts I'd borrowed yesterday from Xeres, and head to the bathroom to take care of business.

Once I'm clean and ready, I head downstairs hoping to find Ares before he goes to work. I need to tell him now, before I chicken out; I also want to know if he salvaged any clothes from when he, and the others visited our house, too.

The kitchens empty when I go down, and the chef smiles weirdly at me when I sit down at the table. "Morning ma'am, what can I make you today?" He asks me politely.

I grab a piece of toast from the rack in front of me -not wanting to push my stomach- and shake my head "Nothing thanks, I'm good,"

He just smiles and turns back to stirring something on the stove.

After eating two slices of toast, I grab a glass of Oj and head to Nonno's study; hoping to find someone I wanted to talk to.

I can hear raised voices as I make my way down the hall, and speed up wanting to know what's wrong. Opening the door quickly I see Nonno, Antonio and Xerss all stood around Nonno's desk, angrily shouting at each other. Seeing me they all freeze and the room drops silent. "What's going on, guys?" I ask them.

Antonio sends me a pained look that I don't understand, Xeres just continues to look angry. "There was trouble at your house yesterday, Bella," Antonio tells me softly. "Xeres and the others walked in on an ambush. We think they were planning that you'd return, and they were going to grab you. They were pretty pîssed when they realised you weren't there."

"Okay. So then what? Why do you look so upset?" I ask him already wishing I hadn't, from the awful feeling I was getting in my gut. "Ares is missing, Bella. By the time we got there to check up on their team, we found the others tied up and beaten." Antonio explains gently to me.

I suck a sharp breath in, and feel like I'm going to faint. No! It can't be true dammit, Ares needs to know about our baby!

Xeres is suddenly there helping me into a chair gently and holding me close. "We'll get him back, Bella. He's strong, he'll be okay." He mumbles against my back and I just sob, feeling helpless again!

"No. This can't be happening. Please, tell me you're lying, and that he's okay?" I beg them through my tears. " I need him more than ever now. Why have they got him, who's done it?" I demand getting louder, and bordering hysteria.

"We aren't sure yet," Antonio tells me carefully schooling his face so I couldn't tell if he was lying or not.

I turn to Xeres and look at him only now just noticing the bruises on his temple. "Did you see who it was?," I ask him trying to calm myself. I needed to learn as much information as I could on what had happened, I wasn't going to just sit here and cry dammit, I needed to find him!!

"No, Bella, they knocked me unconscious first. I went down like a stone, according to Ivan. Antonio woke me when he found me," he let's me go now I'm calm and puts his head on his hands angrily. "I just wish I could have done something different, I was useless and I hate it. He's my best friend!"

Nonno is now sat behind his desk looking dog-tired. "You okay, Nonno?" I ask him quietly. He looks up and gives me a weak smile. "I should be the one asking you that."

I shake my head sadly and try to force a smile. "I won't be fine until Ares is home, Nonno. I just found out I'm pregnant. I'm sorry to just drop it on you guy's, but i can't keep hiding it. That's why I've been sick lately," I tell them quickly, hoping to get it over with. "I wanted to tell Ares first, but I'm not sure if I'll ever see him again." I mutter angry now.