Chapter 35

The next day it's just the same all over again, Antonio keeps avoiding me, and putting all his time and attention into finding Ares. Xeres and Ivan have been staying by my side constantly, joining me in my room; unless Antonio needed them.

The Doctor came back with my test results earlier today, and confirmed what I already knew -that I am pregnant- he prescribed me some prenatal vitamins, and told me to call if the sickness got really bad.
Nonno and Alicia have been hovering around me too, but I'd been worrying too much about Ares for it to bother me.

We still haven't heard anything about where he is, or who has him, and I've been really on edge over it. Why would they want Ares, and what could they gain from it?... I have an idea that maybe they think they can lure me away from my Uncle's, if they threaten Ares' life
But now I'm pregnant, I won't be risking myself like that at all, there's not only me to think of now; and I'd never forgive myself if something happened to mine and Ares' baby.

I'd rung Nonna this morning, letting her know, and she'd been ecstatic over the news, she wanted to come visit immediately, but after Nonno filled her in on what's been happening, she agreed to stay home, safe for now.

Warren's been amazing and a real support while I needed him, he's been staying closely by my side, and getting me food and drinks, while I holed up in my room. Xeres finally persuaded me to come downstairs, so here I was, sat in the lounge just stating at the TV blankly.

''Bella?'' I hear someone ask me loudly, making me jump. I look up to see Ivan staring down at me worried. ''I asked if you're hungry? Dinners been served,''

''Oh, uhm, yeah, I'll be right in,'' i reply.

Getting up I head into the dining room, finally realising the delicious smell I'd been smelling all day was now coming from in there. Nonno and Alicia have already dished out the food to everyone, I don't feel like eating with an audience, so I grab a plate and take it outside, instead.

Sitting out in the garden I stare vaguely out as I eat and imagine my baby running about here happily, making me smile despite how hollow I feel inside, now.
Hearing a phone inside the house start ringing, I wait for someone to answer it, not caring who it was anymore, it wasn't Ares ringing, and he's the only one I want to talk to right now.

Antonio cones out into the deck quickly, startling me, and hands me the phone looking stone-faced. ''It's for you,''

I take it from him confused

''Hello?''

''Is this Mrs Giovanno?''

I don't recognise who it is, so I answer feeling wary. ''Yes,''

''Are you alone?'' They ask me making me frown and stare at Antonio alarmed.

''Yes,'' I answer, lying, and put it on loudspeaker so Antonio can hear, too.

''Good. We have your husband, and if you want him back alive, you'll do what I say,'' the person tells me sounding serious.

''What do you want?'' I ask already dreading the answer.

''We want you, Isabella,'' he sneers at me nastily.

I shiver and look at Antonio for help. ''Why me, dammit? I've told you before it won't solve anything.''

''It doesn't matter, Isabella, my boss wants you and will do anything to get you; even killing your dear husband.''

''No! Why won't you bâstards just leave me and my family alone?''

All I hear is laughter on the other end making me angry. ''It's not up to me, Isabella.'' He replies to me obviously amused.

Antonio moves closer and pulls me into a hug ''Is Ares okay, can I speak to him?'' I ask desperately.

There's a commotion on the other end of the line, and then I hear Ares' voice and nearly collapse in relief.

''Bella?'' He asks me sounding awful.

''Oh, God, Ares, are you okay?'' I ask crying now.

''I'll be okay, Bella I need you to listen to me, okay?'' he asks me seriously ''The are after you still, don't do what they want you to,'' he tells me quickly and I hear a loud thud and a groan on the other end.

''Ares?'' I ask scared. ''I'm still here, mio amore, remember if I don't make it back to you, that I love you so much.''

I sob and start shaking hard, only Antonio arms are holding my up now. ''No, Ares, please I need you,'' I tell him panicked ''I'm pregnant, Ares, I just found out. Our baby needs you, too.''

I hear him suck in a deep breath, and then he laughs an abrupt happy sound, despite the circumstances. ''I'm so happy about that cara, so very happy. I'll try my best to return to you both, Bella, but if i don't, tell our bambino how much I love them, too.''

''I promise. Now can you tell me where you are being held?'' I ask him quickly.

''Antonio will know, it's the same place they had Xeres.''

I hear another grunt of pain and then the line goes dead, and I'm left standing there sobbing and holding the phone as if its a lifeline. ''Come on, Bella. Let's get you inside,'' Antonio tells me softly, and picks me up, carrying me into the lounge, ignoring all the curious people we passed on the way through the kitchen.
Ivan and Xeres rush to me alarmed when they see me, and help Antonio place me down gently onto the sofa. ''What the Hell happened?'' Ivan demands angrily.

''Whoever has Ares rang, they let her talk to him, and she told him about the baby. He gave us his location, but it's a trap, I know it and I'm guessing, so does Bella.''

I curl up into a ball and just sob loudly, feeling like my heart was going to break. He needed to come back to me, No! he had to!!

''So what's the plan?'' Xeres asks from beside me sounding determined. ''We need to get him back,''

''We go tonight, while we know for certain where he's being held. Xeres I want you to stay here with Warren, and protect Bella.'' Antonio tells him firmly.

I feel Xeres tense up and wonder if he'll listen, then he nods and relaxes ''Okay,''

''Good. Ivan go round up the men, we go in and get Ares out with no messing around, I want this shît over with now, for good!''

''Agreed.''

Xeres picks me up and carries me upstairs to my room. ''I'm so sorry this shît happens to you, squirt. But we'll get them, and make them pay for this,'' he tells me and kisses my forehead as he places me into bed.

He gets up to leave and I shake my head sadly ''Stay here with me, please? I'm scared to be alone right now,''

''Sure, squirt.'' He tells me softly and lays down beside me, pulling me against him and wrapping his huge arms around me securely.

Warren comes in sometime later and sends me a small smile. ''Can I join, too?'' He asks us.

I pat the bed lightly and he smiles wider as he climbs onto the bed.

We stay silent as we lay there comfy, and all I can think of is I hope Antonio and Ivan are giving those bâstards Hell!?