-7-

-Wes-

I think I'd rather him talk to me. This riding in silence has my stomach in knots. How can someone so quiet be so distracting? I'm trying my hardest to just keep my eyes on the road, but it's like they have a mind of their own and keep sneaking glances of him. I blame his cologne that keeps wafting over to me. It won't let me forget he's here. Like I could do that anyway.

I can't stop from shooting him another glance. He looks so good in his light wash jeans and dark gray sweatshirt. I run my eyes up the veins in his neck to his hair. It looks messier than before. He definitely tried to make it look good before coming back out to me.

He suddenly turns his head, catching me staring. I turn my eyes back on the road and try to ignore the heat in my face.

"I have a question," he says, breaking the silence.

"What is it?"

"Could we use this ride as a chance to get to know each other? Since you didn't answer my question, I'm assuming you still taking me means you did like the kiss, and you're just being shy about it."

I grip the steering wheel tighter. God damn it. I don't know why. I wasn't even this shy with Claire after our first kiss. She was the shy one. Or at least I thought.

"Whatever. What do you want to know?"

"What's your full name?"

"Wesley Anthony Hatcher. What's yours?" I can't believe I kissed someone without even knowing their last name.

"Ryland Rhys Reyes." (Pronunciation: Ry-land Reese Ray-ez. Also, I don't picture Ryland Hispanic, but you're free to picture him however you want!!)

"Lot of 'R's."

"Yeah. If you don't mind me asking, what's your family life like?"

"It's okay. I mean, I had a good childhood, but now my parents bury themselves in their work. My mom's a nurse, and my dad does boring business shit that I can't remember the name of."

"No siblings?"

"No."

"Hmm."

"What about your family?" I ask, curious.

"Well, I don't have any siblings. Maya's the closet I have to one."

Before he can continue, I cut him off because I'm dying to know. "Have you two hooked up before?"

The look he gives me is one of pure disgust. "Ew!" he says in a higher pitch. "Hell no! I just told you she was like a sister."

I roll my eyes. "That's what most guys say."

"She is, though. For real. I don't even know why you would think that."

"You're close and both pretty people. Pretty people usually hook up together."

"Well, I met her when she was twelve before she grew into her nose or even had boobs yet. So, that's how I see her."

"A prepubescent child?"

He lets a laugh out. "Sure. And yeah, we're close. Really close. But she's only my best friend. You don't have to be jealous."

I scoff. "I'm not. I was just wondering."

"I'm jealous of Alyx," he suddenly says.

I snap my eyes over to his. "What? Why?"

"Because you're not afraid to get close to him or to be yourself around him."

"I've known him seven years."

"So it's going to take me seven years to get that type of attention from you? Alright. Looks like your stuck with me for a while."