-37-

*Drug warning

-Wes-

Seeing someone snort something wasn't what I expected when we made it to the kitchen, but that's exactly what Dylan's doing at the island.

"Shit. I thought Elaine was with you. I was already preparing to get bitched at."

"Nah, she's outside with Lex," Kayson tells him. He nods and continues to do whatever drug he's doing. I glance at Ryland to see him uncomfortable as well. Alyx looks the same. Okay, good. It isn't just me.

"What the hell are you even snorting?" Kayson asks.

"Ecstasy."

"You're going to be up all night."

"That's the plan."

"Probably fucking too, huh?"

"That's also the plan."

Kayson laughs at that. "I think that's what we're all planning tonight." His eyes instantly glance at me before moving to Ryland. "Sorry. Besides you two." Okay, awkward. And no, I actually wasn't planning on sleeping with him tonight. That's way too risky. Even more so than when he stayed with me last night. I honestly think I'd rather my mom caught me than a bunch of kids I go to high school with. At least I know Mom would keep it a secret. I think.

"Damn. There's not even any bitches here you could fuck," Dylan laughs. Nice. He looks the type to refer to women as 'bitches'.

Kayson grabs a bottle of what looks like whiskey out, and that makes me nervous. I haven't tried that. Maybe I should skip out... Ugh, no. Just take the fucking shot.

As he starts to fill up some shot glasses, his next question catches me off guard. "So how come you didn't bring someone with you, Ry?"

He doesn't even hesitate with his answer. "I'm just not seeing anyone right now."

"Really? What happened to that one guy you were with?" Questions instantly fill my mind. What guy? Did he bring him here last year? Were they openly together? Who the fuck was he?

He looks a little uncomfortable and avoids my eyes when I glance at him. "What guy?" Oh, don't try to act dumb. You know exactly who he's talking about.

"That one you brought with you last time. And to a few of Elaine's parties in the past." Oh. It was more than once. It couldn't have been that one ex... If they broke up before he turned eighteen, then it's been too long for it to be him. "What happened with him? It seemed like you two were pretty close."

"That was nothing. Just a 'friend with benefits'. Plus, that ended shortly after we got back home last year." I feel like he's directing most of his response toward me. A 'friend with benefits' yet he brought him around multiple times. And knowing Ryland, he probably had feelings for him. God, I feel so annoyed. I'm definitely taking this shot now.

"Oh, shit. Sorry. Senior year flew by fast."

"I bet. My high school years flew by so quick, I didn't know what had happened," Ryland laughs, but it sounds forced.

"Where did you go to school?" Alyx suddenly asks. The thought of Ryland's ex-lover leaves my mind when I remember his school life during the foster care. I uncomfortably shift my weight to my other foot. I know Alyx didn't mean any harm with the question, but knowing the truth...

"I was homeschooled."

"Lucky ass," Dylan laughs, taking his shot.

"Yeah," Ryland mumbles, awkwardly scratching his neck before grabbing his shot. I reach for mine, and we all down them. And as expected, the taste is nasty, foul, and disgusting. I have to fight the cringe.