-18-

Since Who They Are does a time jump, there may be scenes with Alyx in this book that didn't happen in his point of view. These scenes aren't relevant to Alyx's pov, so they weren't put in. I don't plan for many scenes like this, but I realized while writing in Wes's pov that even though Alyx is grounded, they'll still talk at school some.

-Wes-

It's fucking cold this Monday morning. Like I'm freezing my balls off. A cold front came through last night, and I about didn't want to leave my bed this morning. It also took forever for my car windshield to defrost. I was almost late to school because of it. No snow, though. It would have honestly been nice.

"Hey," I say to Alyx, taking a seat beside him in the cafeteria before classes start.

"Hey," he says after swallowing the bite of biscuit he was chewing.

"Amaya not here yet?"

"No, she's still on the way."

"Oh, okay."

Realizing we're alone at the table makes the thought of telling him everything that happened this weekend pop into my head. I glance over at him while he's busy eating his breakfast. Again, I start wondering what he would think about me being with Ryland. I feel bad keeping it from him. Like I want to tell him. He's my best friend. There's no way I'm bringing it up at school, though, so I push the thought away for now.

He lets a sigh out all of a sudden. "Oh, if you tried texting me over the weekend, I got my phone taken away. And my car and PlayStation. And I'm also grounded, so I won't be able to hang out for a while."

I furrow my brows. "What the hell did you do this time?"

"Amaya accidently left her weed in my room Friday night, and my mom found it while she was cleaning."

Oh, shit. His mom's a cop, though. "She didn't arrest her?"

"No, I wouldn't let her. But now I'm basically banned from seeing her, though. Outside of school anyway. That includes you too since I'm banned from any type of fun."

"That sucks," I mumble. Our last year too. Maybe he won't be grounded until graduation or anything drastic like that.

"So, what'd you do this weekend?"

His question makes me tense up, but I try to quickly relax, hoping he didn't notice the small movement. "Nothing, really. Hung out with my Dad some."

"I thought he left again?"

"He ended up coming back because of some delays. He's leaving today, though."

"Oh. When is he coming back?"

"In a month."

His eyes widen slightly. "He's going to be gone that long?"

"Yeah. It's whatever."

He gives me a sympathetic smile and goes to say something when a feminine voice cuts him off. "Sorry I'm late," Amaya says. "No one wanted to move their ass today in the parking lot."

"That's why you're supposed to get here earlier," Alyx teases her, giving her a big smile. She rolls her eyes but smiles back at him. God, them only seeing each other at school, I can tell breakfast and lunch are going to be mushy as hell with how clingy they're going to be. It's whatever. They're happy and cute together, so I'm happy for them.

Alyx goes back to eating the rest of his breakfast when I feel eyes on me. I glance up to see Amaya's gaze meet mine. The knowing look on her face makes me rip my eyes away. A lump starts forming in my throat. She knows. Ryland must've opened his big, fat mouth. I swear I'll kick his-