-31-

*Mature content (thrown in here and there lol)

-Wes-

I don't feel as cold waking up in the morning since the sun is already out and warming the inside of the tent. I peel my eyes open to glance over at Ryland who's still asleep beside me with his face squished against his arm and his hair messier than I've ever seen it. Noticing it's just us in here, I let a small laugh slip out at how adorable he looks.

His eyes slowly blink open before meeting mine. He lifts his head up and looks past me, probably to see if we're alone. When his eyes lock with mine again, he lets a smile grow.

"What's so funny?"

"You," I answer bluntly.

His jaw slightly drops, feigning offense. "What's funny about me?" he asks in a low voice, like he's trying to keep quiet. Which is a good idea. Dad could be right outside the tent. Though with the smell of food in the air, I'm betting he's already at the grill working on breakfast. He used to always be the first one up, ready to get the day started with whatever activity he had planned. I wonder what he has planned for today. I hope nothing too exhausting. I have... some of my own plans for later tonight that involve using a lot of energy. I heat up at my own thoughts.

"You just had a funny face while you were sleeping," I admit.

His bottom lip pokes out at that. "Don't tease me." He buries his face in his arm, making my heart race even more at how cute he is. He peeks only one of his eyes open, barely looking over his arm. "Did I look ugly?"

I instantly shake my head. "No. Not at all."

"Good. I never want to look ugly for you." It's not like he ever could.

"You're not starting off very strong this morning with the no flirting."

"I'm sorry. It's your fault."

I let a scoff out. "How?"

"Because it's so easy with you. And I'm not just talking about the flirting."

The sound of footsteps approaching the tent causes my reply to never come as I sit up to watch the tent unzip. Dad pokes his head in, letting a bright beam of sunlight in as well.

"Oh, good. I was coming to wake you both up for breakfast. Come eat. I got something planned for us, and you'll need the energy." I give him a nod, and he lets the tent door flap shut, leaving it unzipped.

I mentally sigh at his words. I hope was hoping to conserve my energy, so I won't be too tired later. Because it's happening tonight. I glance over and meet Ryland's eyes. Yeah, it's definitely happening tonight.

"What do you think we're going to do?"

"I don't know," I mumble with a shrug. "With it being sunny out, it could be anything."

"Well, I can't wait to do it with you. Whatever it is."

"Whatever it is, don't wear yourself out."

"Why?" he asks, furrowing his brows. He looks clueless. Surely he knew what I was getting at last night when I told him I wanted to stay with him. I mean, we literally had plans to do it last night before this trip popped up, and I still want it to happen.

"Just don't," I tell him before climbing out of the sleeping bag and sliding my shoes on to meet Dad outside for breakfast.

~

I should've known it'd be hiking. It's like Dad's favorite thing after fishing. It may not be my favorite, but I definitely don't mind it. A walk in nature is always nice and peaceful. I think it's actually becoming my favorite. I used to not like it much as a kid, but I wasn't in shape then like I am now. So, it's more relaxing than tiring.