-8-

-Wes-

The first thing I did after we split ways was go home and bury myself under my covers. Mom came and checked on me, but for some reason, I thought she'd be able to tell what I did just from looking at my face. So I kept myself under the covers and told her I was tired. But I'm that exact opposite. My heart hasn't calmed down once since the kiss, and I can't stop my mind from replaying it over and over again. I hate to even admit it to myself, so I would never, ever tell him this, but I think that was the best kiss I've ever had. It's not that Claire was bad, either. He was just that good.

It was super hard to fall asleep with all my thoughts and dreams surrounding him that I don't wake up until after eight. Shit. Late on the first day back. Great.

I rush through my shower and hurry putting an outfit on. I grab my keys and head out the door. By the time I make it to school, second period is about to end. If I hurry inside, maybe I won't be late to third. Doubtful. I still got to get my schedule from the office. I don't even know where third period is going to be yet.

After getting disappointed looks from the office workers for being this late, I'm given my schedule. Senior English is my third. Alright. I think I have a basic idea on where that is.

Even though we're not supposed to, I start jogging through the empty halls. I cut the corner and see Alyx leaning up against the lockers, scrolling on his phone. Since he's out here, I'm assuming his class got let out early, and third hasn't started.

I hurry over to him. "I'm so fucking late," I say, already feeling a little breathless.

"Overslept?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"Did you get your schedule?" I give him a nod. "Let me see it." I pull it out of my pocket and hand it to him. He looks down at it for a few seconds. "Oh, cool. You have Biology with me and Amaya."

"That's awesome." At least we have a class together. The bells suddenly rings, ending second period. "Shit. I got to go find this class before I'm late for another one," I tell him before leaving his side.

Thankfully, I find it with thirty seconds to spare. Mr. Hannon basically went over the class rules and what we would be working on later this week. Boring but at least we didn't have to actually do any work.

Walking into Biology, I see Alyx taking his seat, Amaya nowhere near him. Shit. It's assigned seats, isn't' it?

"What's your name?" the teacher asks when he sees me.

"Wesley Hatcher."

"Alright. Take a seat on the third row, last desk." Well, I don't mind sitting in the back. Easier to avoid getting caught napping or texting. I settle in at my desk and pull out a pencil and notebook.

After the tardy bells rings, he introduces himself as Mr. Neil and goes on about the same shit Mr. Hannon did. The only thing different was he mentioned a project on biomes. And we're doing it with a partner. Great. I hope I get Alyx or, hell, I'll take Amaya, too. I hope it's at least someone I know. I take a look around the room to scan each person. Alright, well, if don't get one of them, I'm going to end up with some rando.

Mr. Neil walks up and down each row with a bowl for us to draw a name out of. Alyx ends up with a girl named Madelyn, and he doesn't look too thrilled about it. The name I drew was a girl named Emma. I've had a class with her before, but we've never talked. Maybe she'll actually do some of the work and not expect me to do all of it.

When the bell rings, I stand up and gather my things. I hear the sound of someone clearing their throat, making me look up to meet a pair of green eyes.