War (March 1917)

"That looks very cosy, Corporal."

"Would you like one, Sir? We have condensed milk and sugar," Thomas explained.

"I won't ask how you managed to get it. Can you really do without it?" Matthew wondered, longing for a good cup of tea for a long time.

"Very gladly, if we talk about the old days and can forget about this for a moment," Thomas said. His cigarette glowed between his fingers.

"Have you heard from anyone?" Matthew asked, immediately regretting his question. Of course, Thomas would hear from someone, as his child remained in Downton.

"Oh yes, Miss O'Brien and Mrs. Hughes keep me informed," Thomas explained. "Emma can read and write her first words, Lady Edith is driving a car, Lady Sybil is attending a nursing course. Miss O'Brien wrote to me that the hospital is busier than ever with all the wounded. Is that true?"

"Oh yes, certainly," Matthew said. "They even held a concert when I was there to raise more donations."

"I'm very curious, Sir. Do you think I will ever be transferred back to the hospital - considered as war work, of course?"

"Well, first you would have to be sent back home from the front, and then you might have to pull a few strings," he explained, taking a sip of tea. Matthew remembered that Thomas was the first to leave Downton to help in the war. "When was the last time you saw your daughter?"

"August 1914, Sir," Thomas sadly noted. He had seen his child for the last time two years and seven months ago.

"Then you must miss your daughter very much?" Matthew took a deep breath. "During my last homecoming, I saw Mrs. Patmore and Lady Sybil baking a cake, and your daughter was diligently helping them. She secretly nibbled on the dough when they weren't looking," he grinned. "And since the staff at Downton is becoming scarce, she's officially allowed to take walks on the estate with Isis when no one else is available. Although they mostly play fetch with sticks outside the door, Lord Grantham is very impressed with the young girl because Emma has taught Isis to bring back," Matthew raved about the carefree time during his vacation. "How old is Emma now? Five? She's truly fortunate - after all, she has no idea what's going on in the world - her biggest worry is when Mrs. Patmore makes a Brussels sprout casserole for lunch, and Mr. Carson forces her to eat the full portion."

"Well, you seem to know almost more about my child than I do," Thomas said disappointedly. The letters from Mrs. Hughes about Emma were not as detailed as he had hoped. And O'Brien only kept him updated with the typical gossip.

Captain Crawley moved on, and so did Thomas. With the glowing cigarette between his fingers, he walked through the trench in search of peace. Eventually, he leaned against the wooden wall covering and let himself sink into the mud. Sitting there, he retrieved a new cigarette from his jacket pocket. His hands trembled wildly, causing a letter to fall into his lap, revealing a picture of his daughter. Emma. The five-year-old smiled mischievously into the camera, proudly displaying her very first gap-toothed smile. He gently wiped his finger across the photo. She had grown so incredibly and no longer resembled the child he left behind over two years ago. With the cigarette between his lips, he searched for his lighter. Suddenly, he no longer felt like smoking. He sobbed quietly to himself. Clutching the picture of his daughter in his hand, he reflected on the few moments he had spent with Emma. Her first words and her last words when they said goodbye. And yet, he had gone, farther and longer than he had ever intended. Removing the cigarette from his mouth, he held the flickering lighter in his left hand above his head... and a gunshot rang out. His hand bled and throbbed terribly.

"Thank you, thank you," Thomas sobbed. "Thank you for saving me... I'm on my way, my little dwarf."

Meanwhile, at Downton Abbey