Rest & Cake (May/June 1921)

Emma was finally allowed to be discharged from the hospital – provided she adhered to the agreement and continued to rest – of course, Emma agreed to Dr. Clarkson's proposal. It was boring in the hospital anyway.

"Remember to rest," Dr. Clarkson reminded the girl of the agreement, "No jumping, dancing, or whatever children of your age do when they're bored."

"Promise," said Emma, who couldn't wait to finally go home.

"Do you really think Emma is fit enough?" Thomas doubted.

"Well, from a medical perspective, there's nothing against discharge," Clarkson said.

"And the headaches?"

"Thomas," Clarkson cleared his throat, "Emma had the headaches the day before yesterday. There's really nothing against discharge. Emma is almost recovered. She just needs to rest for another two or three days."

Thomas sighed. Dr. Clarkson was right. Emma couldn't be in the hospital forever, and Lord Grantham no longer tolerated his absence. At least in the Abbey, he had the chance to see his child in between.

"Okay," Thomas conceded, "But you also stick to Dr. Clarkson's instructions."

"Yes," Emma replied, rolling her eyes slightly annoyed.

As they entered the corridors of the servants' quarters through the back door, and Emma caught the familiar scent, a smile formed on her face. She was finally home. From the kitchen, she heard loud swearing. Without a doubt, one of the kitchen maids was receiving a scolding from Mrs. Patmore. Hall boys hurried past her, hands full with their daily tasks.

"Emma Grace," Carson greeted the young girl, "It's lovely to see you hale and hearty again." Carson was among the few who didn't visit Emma in the hospital. But the butler didn't need to. Emma knew that Carson was worried, but most likely kept informed by Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore. The two older ladies regularly visited Emma.

"You've come just in time for lunch," smiled Mrs. Hughes, leading the Barrows straight to the servants' hall. Anna and Bates were sitting at their usual places at the table, offering the girl a friendly smile. Alfred and Jimmy also seemed relieved at first glance to see the girl fit and lively again. Only Mrs. O'Brien couldn't hide her bad mood as usual.

Mrs. Patmore placed the food on the table. There was a stew with fresh bread and pancakes for dessert for Emma.

"One thing can be said about you," O'Brien remarked sarcastically, "You know how to put on a show."

"Mrs. O'Brien," Carson cleared his throat. The butler's angry gaze met the maid's. "It certainly wasn't Emma Grace's intention."

"Of course, it wasn't," replied O'Brien.

Emma ignored Mrs. O'Brien's sharp remarks and instead focused on feeling comfortable in her familiar surroundings. The hearty smell of the food filled her nostrils, and her stomach rumbled with anticipation for the first time, as Mrs. Patmore had prepared her favorite meal.

"Now that Emma Grace is back here, you can continue your work after lunch, Mister Barrow," Carson remarked. He had accepted that Thomas had four days off. After all, it was about Emma Grace's well-being, but the butler wanted to get back to the routine as soon as possible.

"Of course, Mr. Carson," Thomas agreed.

After lunch, Thomas escorted his daughter to their shared bedroom. Emma put on her comfortable nightdress and sat on the bed.

"I'll check in on you from time to time," Thomas promised as he leaned over to tuck her in. Emma sighed softly, a hint of disappointment in her voice. She had hoped to spend a few precious hours with her father, but she knew Carson wouldn't be persuaded.