Eventful Days (May 1920)

AN: I've included a little flashback. I had the idea in my head for a few days. I find it somehow sweet to read about the 'relationship' between Mrs. O'Brien and toddler Emma. Maybe it also explains why Mrs. O'Brien hates the child more and more with each passing day. Otherwise, we're right in the middle of the 3rd season. You know what that means. The rollercoaster of emotions continues...

Thomas Barrow couldn't simply ignore O'Brien's intentions. So, he devised a plan for discreet retaliation without involving his daughter further. He was in the midst of polishing his lordship's shoes when the plan came to mind. In the landry room, there were various cleaning products, including the shoe polish preferred by Mrs. O'Brien for Lady Grantham's shoes. He mixed a bit of caustic liquid into the polish.

Later in the afternoon, Mrs. O'Brien unknowingly reached for the wrong shoe polish and began cleaning Lady Grantham's shoes. "Oh no, no," she exclaimed in shock as the leather began to dissolve. Mrs. O'Brien stared in horror at the result of her work, and Thomas could hardly conceal his smile.

Now he leaned against the house wall, exhaling his cigarette smoke. Thomas silently watched as Daisy filled a basket with firewood.

"Thomas," Daisy startled when she looked back. She hesitated for a moment before speaking, "Mrs. O'Brien has been having quite a few accidents lately."

"That happens when you're not careful," Thomas commented, taking another drag of his cigarette.

"Or when you mess with Emma." Thomas looked surprised. Did Daisy know he was behind it? If so, he needed to be more cautious. But the kitchen maid continued, "Don't you remember when O'Brien had to look after Emma for an afternoon? I think she was three years old..."

Flashback 1915

"She should be occupied for a while with this," Mr. Carson remarked. He had placed a box of toys, books, and art supplies in the servants' hall, all while holding the little girl's hand.

"I don't think this is within my duties," O'Brien muttered, clearly not thrilled with the idea.

"Mrs. Hughes is bedridden with the flu. William has his half-day off. Anna is in London with Lady Mary. Mrs. Patmore is out shopping, and I, too, have to go to the village for a few hours," the butler explained.

"What about Daisy?"

Mr. Carson raised his eyebrows incredulously, "Daisy? She's just a child herself."

"If you believe my duties can wait..."

"Yes, indeed." He lifted the toddler and placed her on a chair. "Listen, Emma Grace," he now spoke to the girl with a gentler tone, "Mrs. O'Brien will take care of you for a few hours. Behave and show your very best side."

The 3-year-old Emma nodded, saying, "Uh-huh," while keeping her hand in her mouth and giving the butler a sweet smile because Emma was a real bundle of energy, brimming with joy for life. "Bye-bye, Mister Caw-son."

Barely had Mr. Carson left the servants' hall when she slammed the crayons and a coloring book onto the table. "Here you go, you little brat," O'Brien hissed, "I have better things to do than look after you. So, you'll sit here quietly and wait for Mr. Carson to return."

As O'Brien left the servants' hall, Emma discreetly slid off her chair and crawled over to the wall, where she started painting the wall with pink crayon.

"Stop it, you silly brat!" O'Brien burst out.

Emma now jumped up from her spot. "Catch me!" she squealed with joy. When she touched Mrs. O'Brien with the crayon still in her hand, she left a pink streak on the maid's clothing. The maid didn't even consider chasing after the child. Instead, she sat down and lit a cigarette. Emma quickly realized that the maid wasn't interested in playing with her. So, the child hopped in place. "I'm hungry!" Emma yelled, "Hungry! Hungry! Hungry!"