Emmas Phase of Defiance II (February 1918)

Suddenly, the servants' hall filled with every single member of the staff, welcoming Mr. Bates. Emma was delighted to see the valet again. Anna seemed incredibly happy in his presence. But her father was far from thrilled, so she suppressed her joy. Instead, she had the feeling that her father took himself far too seriously. He suddenly started giving orders, and Daisy had to bear the brunt of it. And Emma really liked Daisy.

Carson rang the gong, and Thomas rudely ordered a fresh cup of tea. "Thomas, I need to attend to prepare dinner..." But before Daisy could finish her sentence, Thomas interrupted, "A hot one this time, and for you, I am Sergeant Barrow."

Although Emma was only five and three-quarters years old - her sixth birthday was just a few weeks away - she was well aware of how the staff looked at her father. Whether it was Mrs. Hughes or Bates, both were not pleased with her father's command at the most inconvenient time. And now Daisy had to do double the work.

Emma remained silent, not daring to raise her voice and express her disapproval of her father's behavior. But when Thomas lit another cigarette, Emma took it as an opportunity to slam her book loudly on the table. Mrs. Hughes looked at her in shock, O'Brien and Bates interrupted their conversation, while her dad merely raised a curious eyebrow.

"You said you wouldn't smoke when I'm sitting next to you!"

"Just sit over there," Thomas suggested.

"Why should I move when you arrived last?"

"I don't like your snappy tone," Thomas puffed the smoke from his lungs.

Emma clutched her book under her arm, angrily pushed her chair back. "My tone? Don't you listen to yourself?" the little girl shouted, "You promised me!"

"You don't talk to me like that," Thomas remained calm, placing the cigarette back between his lips.

"You can't order me around because I'm still a child and don't even work here!" Emma triumphantly declared.

"I can certainly give you orders because you are my child, and as my child, you are under my command," Thomas emphasized with a smirk.

"Then I simply won't listen to you, Sergeant Barrow," she replied defiantly, crossing her arms and sticking her tongue out at her father. He remained seated, calm and composed, cigarette still glowing in his right hand.

"Go up to our room, Emma Grace, and don't show your face down here today." Emma stayed in her sulking position. "Now!" he commanded more forcefully. The self-satisfied smirk on his face had now transformed into a cold servant-like demeanor. 

Yet the child refused to obey. "No!" Emma stubbornly exclaimed. Thomas did not like it one bit. The cigarette in his hand long forgotten, he hissed, "You certainly don't want to find out what I'll do if you don't listen to me right now! So go now!"

After careful consideration - her expression clearly showing it - she grinned and said, "Why don't you go up to our room?"

Thomas extinguished his cigarette as he leaped from his seat. The girl reacted too slowly, wanting to run away quickly, but he had already grabbed her upper arm. She let out a short squeal - Thomas's grip hurt, and none of the present servants seemed willing to help her - as the man hoisted her over his shoulder and carried her headfirst up the stairs. The young girl futilely struck his back with her hands a few times, but it was in vain.

It wasn't until they reached the room that Thomas let her down. Standing unsteadily on her own two feet, she waited for her punishment, hands protectively covering her face. After all, her father stood dangerously close, not even an arm's length away, pointing a threatening finger at her.