Merry Christmas (December 1919)

Suddenly, Carson rose to his feet. The staff followed suit. Lady Grantham was standing in the doorway.

"Oh, please, do stay seated," she smiled, "I was just wondering if I could borrow Emma? I'd like to decorate the christmas tree and could really use an extra pair of hands."

"Milady, I'm also here to assist you," O'Brien offered.

"Oh no, please don't trouble yourself. There's nothing quite like experiencing Christmas through the eyes of children," Emma saw her dad nod approvingly. She was indeed allowed to go upstairs with Lady Grantham, a rare occurrence. Lady Grantham reached for her hand, leading her up the stairs through the famous door that separated the downstairs and upstairs. It brought her immense joy to help her ladyship decorate the christmas tree.

"We brought this ornament back from our trip to France," Lady Grantham shared, "It's the Eiffel Tower in Paris." The miniature version came with a string for hanging. It brought forth old and beautiful memories, and so Lady Grantham began to tell the young girl about her travels. How she came from America to Britain. How she and Lord Grantham had traveled the countries of Europe over many years.

"You still have to decorate up here, the tree is quite bare," Matthew Crawley appeared behind her. Emma could only look at him with wide eyes. She couldn't reach up there! But in that moment, he lifted her up and settled her on his shoulders, asking, "Better?"

"Much better!" Emma grinned. Matthew handed her the ornaments one by one.

"It seems your little brat wants a new family - a wealthy one," O'Brien stated. Barrow observed the spectacle in silence. He should have been the one carrying his daughter on his shoulders to decorate the tree. He should have been in Matthew Crawley's place. Emma was his child. His daughter.

"You're getting quite jealous," O'Brien grinned. Yes. He was jealous. Matthew Crawley was stealing a special moment from him - Christmas with his daughter.

"Did I mention that the Crawleys have taken the child into their hearts in your absence? I wouldn't be surprised if someday she gets to live upstairs and we have to serve her."

"But she'll remember her daddy and take him with her on her way up," Thomas spoke optimistically. At least, he really hoped so. Thomas turned his gaze back to the tree. Emma was laughing with Matthew Crawley, Lady Mary, and Lady Grantham. They looked like a picture-perfect family. Father, mother, child, and grandmother.

"Be careful, Matthew," Lady Mary laughed.

Matthew was about to set Emma back on the ground, but instead of taking the direct route, he swung the child around, holding her in front of his chest, tickling her. The girl laughed with immense joy.

When Emma awoke on the morning of the 25th of December, she was disappointed to find that her father was already up and about. Her first gaze was towards the window. It still wasn't snowing. She had wished so much for a white Christmas.

"What's this? You're still in bed and not dressed!" Thomas appeared at the door. His arms crossed behind his back. "The Christmas gathering with the Crawleys is in half an hour, and I've heard your presence has been requested," he explained as he sat down at the foot of the bed. From behind his arms, he produced a little package. He gave his girl a warm smile. "Merry Christmas, my little dwarf."

Emma eagerly unwrapped her gift. Inside was a new floral dress and a small bracelet. Her eyes sparkled as she held up the bracelet. It was adorned with delicate charms – a heart, a star and a book.

"Do you like it?" Thomas asked, a bit unsure.

Emma nodded, "It's beautiful! Thank you, Daddy!" She planted a kiss on his cheek.