Black Market & Emmas Birthday (Feb-March 1919)

"What about you, Thomas? How long do you plan to stay here?" Daisy asked, interested.

"Well, now that the last wounded soldiers are gone, I suppose I'm unnecessary. I'll be reporting to Major Clarkson, but I doubt he'll keep anyone..." Thomas replied.

"I suspect the hospital will go back to what it was before the war," Anna remarked.

"Where do you plan to go then?" Daisy asked curiously.

"What's it to you?" Thomas responded dismissively. Emma looked up from her homework, wondering where they would go if they had to leave Downton. But before she could ponder further, Thomas extinguished his cigarette and disappeared with O'Brien in tow. Emma still couldn't understand why her father was friends with such a wicked witch. Lately, it felt like he was excluding her more often. He seemed to have some secret, and only O'Brien seemed to know what it was.

A few days later, on her way home, Emma had to look twice to understand that Thomas and O'Brien were coming towards her.

"Dad, where are you going?" she asked, curious.

"Come with me, and I'll show you," he grinned. Thomas led her into an old shed where dozens of food supplies were stored - flour, sugar, and canned rations.

"You asked me what comes next," Thomas took a drag from his cigarette, "I'll be making some deals at the market." He purposely avoided mentioning the black market. He couldn't have his child going around the village, proclaiming that he was involved in illegal activities.

"But we'll stay in Downton, won't we?"

"We'll see," he said after another puff of his cigarette, turning to O'Brien. Emma observed her father and O'Brien discussing the food supplies. It was obvious that it was something secretive, and she felt a certain tension in the air. She knew her father didn't want her talking about it.

As they finished their conversation, Thomas turned back to his daughter. His face now wore a loving smile. "Come, Emma," he said, taking her hand, "It's time to go home."

They left the shed and started heading home. Emma couldn't completely suppress her curiosity and asked cautiously, "Daddy, what were you discussing in there?"

Thomas leaned down to her, "Sometimes there are things that adults need to talk about, but they're not meant for children." Emma nodded, though not entirely satisfied with the answer.

It was one of those afternoons again when she was feeling bored. Her friends in the village were busy, her dad was occupied with his new job, so Emma sought the company of Tom Branson. The two had become a well-coordinated team when it came to fixing the car. Emma skillfully handed him tools and held the flashlight while he tinkered under the hood.

Emma sat on a toolbox while Tom raved about Ireland, "You know, in Ireland, there's a legend about leprechauns. These little mischievous beings are said to play pranks and sometimes like to hide things. People say that if you've lost something, it must have been the leprechauns."

Emma laughed and asked, "Do you believe in leprechauns, Tom?"

Tom also laughed and replied, "Well, I'm not quite sure, Emma. There are so many stories and superstitions about leprechauns in Ireland. Some people firmly believe in them, while others consider it nonsense. But it's always nice to listen to such stories and believe in the magic and the mysterious, isn't it?"

Emma nodded enthusiastically, "Mysterious stories are the best."

"You're right," Tom said, "Ireland has many more fascinating facts. Did you know that there are more sheep than people in Ireland?"