The longing for a mother (February 1922)

"Tell me, what actually happened to your mum?" Katherine asked. "Did the room get too small and you kicked her out?"

Emma tried to ignore her.

"Or did she find herself a new husband to start a better family with?" she concluded.

"Stop it, Katherine!" Ruby hissed angrily.

"No one knows Emma's stupid mother," Katherine stated the obvious, "Maybe she was a prostitute who got knocked up by her dad and he got stuck with the result."

"My mother passed away very early. She was ill," Emma revealed.

"Seems to run in the family then," Katherine smirked.

Ruby reached for Emma's arm to prevent the girl from making a huge mistake. "She's not worth it," Ruby said softly. Emma felt anger rising within her, but she forced herself to stay calm. If she confronted Katherine now, she would only invite unnecessary trouble with the headmaster, and she certainly didn't want that. Instead, she took a deep breath and turned to Ruby.

"Thank you," she whispered, while trying to suppress the tumultuous emotions. She wondered why someone could be so cruel, and why Katherine always felt the need to hurt others. And why her, of all people?

"I wish I could do more," Ruby said. "Don't let her get to you. Katherine is a stupid cow."

When the bell rang signaling the end of the break, Emma felt emotionally drained. She simply longed for the end of the school day.

"Emma, are you alright?" Anna asked, concerned, as she saw the tired and saddened expression on the child's face. Emma initially wanted to wave it off and claim everything was fine, but then tears suddenly welled up in her eyes, and she began to cry like a waterfall in front of the Bates' doorstep.

"Come inside," Anna said, pulling the girl into the living room. Bates sat at the dining table, looking puzzled as he glanced up from his newspaper. Anna and John had retreated to their cottage in the afternoon before returning to their evening duties at the Abbey.

"What happened?" he asked. Anna shrugged cluelessly as she guided Emma to the couch. Emma was so engulfed in her crying that she couldn't utter a word through her trembling lips.

"What has Thomas – oh, sorry – I mean Mister Barrow done?" Bates asked with an irritated voice, earning a stern glance from his wife.

Eventually, Emmas eyes became so moist that she could barely see anything. She reached out for Anna with her hand. The maid knelt before the couch, her hands resting on Emma's knees. When Emma finally found Anna's touch, she wrapped her arms around the maid. Anna immediately understood what Emma wanted and pulled the girl entirely into her embrace. Emma longed for a hug.

"I'm here, Emma," Anna spoke gently. "You can tell me anything."

Emma continued to sob as Anna held her tightly. Bates sat beside them, observing the scene with concern. He could hardly wait to find out what had happened.

After a while, Emma slowly calmed down and released herself from Anna's embrace. She wiped the tears from her eyes and sniffled softly. "I'm sorry," she mumbled, unable to find the words to explain what happened at school.

Anna gently stroked her back. "It's okay, Emma. You don't have to say anything if you're not ready," she exchanged a brief glance with Mister Bates, "But we're here for you, no matter what happened."

Emma looked up at Anna, her eyes red and teary. "I just wish... I wish I had a mum," she whispered softly. Some days, she envied Ruby and her relationship with her mother. Mrs. Harris was a natural at hairstyling, and Ruby often wore beautiful braided hair or hairstyles where the accessories stood out. Thomas, on the other hand, only knew one braiding style, taught by Anna.