Valentine's Letter (14th February 1922)

Thomas watched as Emma packed her school bag. She had completed her homework before and after breakfast—her own, because Katherine's took precedence.

"You let everyone walk all over you," he remarked eventually, exhaling cigarette smoke. "That's not how I raised you."

Emma barely shrugged. "True, according to Nanny West, you didn't raise me at all," she retorted cheekily.

Thomas's expression darkened at her remark, but he decided not to pursue it further. "You could make Katherine's life just as hellish as you did Nanny West's a few days ago," Thomas suggested, taking another deep drag of his cigarette.

Emma fell silent. Instead, she reached for her packed lunch and placed it in her school bag as Mister Carson entered the servants' hall and distributed the post. There were many bright eyes and whispers among the servants, proudly holding their mysterious letters in hand.

"Emma Grace," the butler spoke, "This letter is for you."

Emma could hardly contain her excitement as she held the letter in her hands. Her heart began to race, and an excited smile played on her lips. The excitement on her face did not go unnoticed by the others in the room.

"A love letter on Valentine's Day, eh?" smirked Thomas. "Who's the mysterious sender?"

Jimmy couldn't hide his curiosity. "Maybe it's from me," he joked, winking at Emma. Emma rolled her eyes and carefully opened the letter. Her eyes widened, and a slight blush crept onto her face. The others waited eagerly for Emma's revelation.

"Well, who is it from then?" Anna asked.

Emma's joy disappeared instantly as she saw the sender. "It's from Dad," Emma confirmed. The disappointment in Emma's voice was unmistakable. The other servants in the room exchanged puzzled looks, and even Thomas looked surprised.

"But that's nice, isn't it?" Anna said optimistically.

"Don't worry, Emma, you can decline if you want," said Thomas, painfully realizing that Emma wasn't pleased with his Valentine's letter. He had written the letter with a wink to surprise and cheer up his daughter on Valentine's Day, but evidently his plan had failed.

"I have to go to school," she said. On her way out, she crumpled up the letter and threw it into a corner in the hallway.

It was Mrs. Hughes who found that crumpled letter, unfolded it, and read it.

Dear Emma,

I just wanted to take this special day to tell you how much I love you and how proud I am of you. I hope you always find happiness and love in your life. Would you do me the honour of going out with me tonight?

Dad

The household staff had by now noticed the fluctuating mood between father and daughter. From cheerful interaction to silent distance. That distance had persisted between father and daughter for a few days now.

"Mister Barrow," Mrs. Hughes spoke, intercepting Thomas in the hallway, "Is everything alright?"

Thomas nodded briefly, "Yes, everything's fine, Mrs. Hughes."

But Mrs. Hughes wasn't easily dissuaded. "You can't fool me, Mister Barrow. I know you well enough to know when something's not right. And I have a feeling it's about Emma."

"Nothing for you to worry about. I have everything under control," Thomas said and went up the stairs.

Thomas was replenishing the wood in the fireplace of the grand hall when he noticed Nanny West behind him.