Emma Grace (May 1921)

The hours passed, and Thomas sat by her bedside, observing every breath she took. Emma's eyelids moved slowly before she eventually opened her eyes. The dim light of the hospital room fell on her face, and she looked around in confusion. Her gaze landed on her father, sitting by her bed and looking down at her with concern.

"Da-Dad-dy," she whispered softly as her eyes focused on him. A broad smile spread across Thomas's face, and he reached for her hand. "I'm here, my little dwarf. Daddy is here."

Emma smiled weakly and lightly squeezed her father's hand before closing her eyes again. Sleep seemed to still claim her, and Thomas didn't want to disturb her. He still couldn't believe how narrowly she had escaped a severe or even fatal injury. His heart was still filled with worry, but now that he knew Emma was alive and on the road to recovery, he felt a deep sense of relief. He could hardly believe how happy he was to see his daughter conscious again. With his hand, he traced along her cheek. "I love you, my little dwarf."

"How is she?" Anna asked with concern as she entered the hospital room accompanied by John Bates. Thomas subtly rolled his eyes. Why did Bates have to come along?

"Better, I think," Thomas explained briefly. "She was awake briefly," he added.

"That's good," Anna said confidently, sitting on the other side of the bed and lovingly looking at Emma. "She'll surely fully recover soon," she added, placing the stuffed animal she brought in Emma's hand.

Thomas nodded in agreement. "Yes, I hope so." His gaze briefly shifted to John Bates, who stood awkwardly in the corner, trying not to seem out of place.

Anna noticed the tension in Thomas's face and decided to address the obvious issue. "I never expected you to be so caring and concerned. It's a side of you I've never seen before."

A slight blush crept up Thomas's face, and he briefly averted his gaze. "I'm not as emotionally cold as everyone thinks, and certainly not a deadbeat father." He avoided looking at John Bates, who still stood in the corner.

"Perhaps it was unfair of me to label you as a deadbeat father," John Bates said tersely.

Anna glanced briefly between Thomas and her husband. Sensing the tension between the two men, she said, "Could you refill the water bottle?" She handed John the empty water bottle on the bedside table next to Emma's bed. John nodded briefly before leaving the hospital room.

"You're doing great, Thomas," Anna said, "Really, the way you take care of her. Despite how much we have to work, you always find a way to spend time with Emma."

"Oh, really?" Thomas raised an eyebrow incredulously. "Didn't you claim not too long ago that I never spend time with her?"

"I thought so, yes," Anna admitted honestly, placing her hand reassuringly on Thomas's shoulder. "But I stand corrected."

At that moment, John Bates reentered the room. Anna quickly removed her hand from Thomas's shoulder. John handed the water bottle to Anna. "Here's the water, Anna." Anna thanked him, while Thomas inwardly cursed that Bates had returned.

"Oh, damn," Anna exclaimed, pleadingly looking at her husband. "I forgot the book for Emma on the kitchen counter in our cottage. Could you please get it? I want Emma to have something to do when she wakes up," she then turned to Thomas, "I bought her a new book, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

"An adventure book, Anna? She fell from the treehouse. Don't give her even more dangerous ideas," Thomas stated.

"I think all of this is a lesson for her, and she'll stay away from treehouses in the future," Anna said positively.