Missing Shirts & another Wedding (May 1920)

"Who's this for, then? And why are you doing it down here?" wondered Thomas.

Emma looked up curiously from her homework. Her gaze moved from her father to O'Brien and finally to Alfred, who had spread out the evening shirts on the table.

"This is for Mr. Matthew. It wasn't quite smooth, so I had it ironed down here," explained Alfred.

"You've never attended to him before," observed Thomas, quickly asking the next question, "What about Mr. Molesley?"

"He's staying at Crawley House," Anna explained.

"Oh, and why wasn't I asked?"

"Mr. Carson thought it was better this way," said O'Brien.

"Really?" doubted Thomas, glared at O'Brien angrily, "How did that come about?" and turned back to Alfred, "And if you're intent on learning your trade, never spread a shirt in a room like this, as it could get stained," he advised, "And it could crease. Do it in the dressing room and nowhere else."

"Thank you very much," he said a little intimidated.

"Yes, thank you very much, Thomas," the maid whispered, "For always being so exceptionally helpful."

Before Thomas could respond or sit down, the dressing bell rang. Emma sighed. She had actually needed her father's help with her homework. Why did the bell always ring at the most inconvenient times? Suddenly, the servants' hall was empty.

Emma gathered her books and homework, feeling a pang of frustration. She had been hoping to get some assistance from her father. Schoolwork was difficult enough without the distractions of life at Downton Abbey.

She made her way towards the kitchen. There she found Mrs. Hughes overseeing the preparation of the evening meal. Daisy Patmore was busy chopping vegetables, and Mrs. Patmore was scurrying around, ensuring everything was in order. Emma hesitated for a moment, feeling a bit out of place among the busy stuff. Then she approached Mrs. Hughes, who looked up with a warm smile.

"What can I do for you, Emma?" Mrs. Hughes inquired.

Emma cleared her throat nervously. "I was wondering if I could get some help with my homework, Mrs. Hughes."

Mrs. Hughes nodded understandingly. "Of course, dear. I'd be happy to help you with your homework. What subject are you working on?"

"It's history," Emma replied. She began to explain the topic and the questions she was struggling with.

"Well then, let's have a look, shall we?" she said with a warm smile. "I'll assist you today, but in the future, you should seek help from Mister Molesley. He's the best at helping you with history."

A few evenings later, the servants were particularly stressed. Mr. Molesley rushed up the stairs breathlessly on his way to Mr. Matthew, Daisy couldn't get the oven to heat up, Mrs. Patmore had the usual kitchen madness, and then Thomas came running into the servants' hall, clearly upset, "Where are they?"

"Where should what be?" wondered Anna.

"His damn evening shirts! That's what it's about!" Thomas hissed angrily and fixed Alfred with a steely gaze, "Where have you put them?"

"I haven't touched his evening shirts. Why would I?" Alfred said, and Thomas's eyes immediately turned to O'Brien, "Did you do it?"

"Thomas, why would I know anything about his lordship's shirts?"

"If I find out..." threatened Thomas, but O'Brien waved it off, "Stop with the theatrics and hurry up. Her Ladyship is already in the drawing room. And his lordship isn't even dressed yet?" From his expression, Emma was pretty sure Thomas was considering a comeback, but he just hurried up the stairs to the upper floor.