Just A Normal Day (Summer 1917)

"Alright, alright! There's no need to get so rough!" Branson shouted as Carson dragged him into the kitchen. Emma sat on the kitchen counter, her legs dangling down.

"Oh, but it's very necessary indeed, to prevent a murder!" Carson hissed.

"A murder? What do you mean by murder?"

Emma stared at them with her mouth half open and eyes wide open. It was supposed to be just a harmless prank, but every single adult - Daisy, Mrs. Patmore, Anna, or Mrs. Hughes - they were all beside themselves with anger. Not to mention Mr. Carson, who was on the verge of exploding at any moment.

"You were planning to kill the General!" Anna summed up.

"It's just stinky stuff that was supposed to be poured over his head," Emma chimed in. It turned out to be a big mistake, as until now she hadn't been suspected of having anything to do with it.

"You're telling me you're in cahoots with Branson!" Mrs. Hughes exclaimed in shock. "We raised you better!"

Anna opened the lid of the bowl and a disgusting smell wafted up into her nose. Immediately, the adults wrinkled their faces in disgust. "What on earth is this?" Anna wondered, holding her nose with two fingers.

"Oil, ink, and a bit of cow dung. All mixed with sour milk," Tom explained. He had his arms crossed.

"And rotten potatoes," Emma added.

"He needed a bath, but not a coffin!" Tom snapped.

Emma was sent to Mrs. Hughes' sitting room. She had to wait patiently until Mr. Carson or Mrs. Hughes had completed all their duties. During that time, she was not allowed to play or draw.

"I hope you understand that this is not appropriate behaviour!" Mr. Carson yelled.

Emma nodded, nervously biting her lip. "I'm sorry, Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes. I thought it would be a funny prank."

She noticed Thomas had a broad grin on his face. He was standing in the hallway, thoroughly amused, trying to suppress his laughter. He couldn't help but find the situation amusing.

Mr. Carson sighed. "Emma Grace, I understand that you didn't mean any harm, but you need to learn that pranks are not appropriate, especially in a house like Downton Abbey."

"It wasn't my prank, it was Tom's."

"You were aware of his plans and you helped him. That makes you an accomplice," Mrs. Hughes explained.

Thomas entered the room slowly. Of course, he wouldn't just stand in the background and laugh; he would help his daughter get out of the mess. He placed a reassuring hand on Emma's shoulder. "She understands, Mr. Carson, Mrs. Hughes. It won't happen again."

"I certainly hope so!" Carson snapped.

With a nod, Thomas indicated for the child to follow him. They stopped in a quiet corner of the hallway.

"So that's what you meant by helping Tom," Thomas chuckled.

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"For what?" Emma looked at her father confused. She had expected him to at least give her a lecture, but instead, he seemed to take the situation with humour.

The next morning

"William!" Emma called across the corridors of the basement, running straight towards the former servant, her arms wrapped around his torso. "Oi, Emma - you're crushing me!" he laughed. She had built a carefree and lovely friendship with William.