The Kiss (July 1920)

I'm sorry that I didn't upload a new chapter last week. I'm in the middle of moving into a new flat, so there might be weeks when I can't upload. However, I'll make an effort to provide you with new chapters regularly. And I hope to have more time by early January at the latest. For now, enjoy the chapter and Emma's response.

Thank you for your comments. If you have any wishes or suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Emma sat motionless, her heart racing as she processed her father's words. Thomas almost interpreted the silence between them as a definitive end to their relationship. His little dwarf sat far away from him. Why had he even broached this delicate topic?

Finally, Emma broke the silence. "I don't understand," she began hesitantly. Her forehead creased as she tried to piece together the puzzle in her mind. "It doesn't change who you are."

He looked at his daughter sadly. She really seemed not to grasp it. "It does, Emma. Everything has just changed," he said, swallowing hard. Emma scrutinized her dad. His face reflected deep fear. The uncertainty of how his daughter would react to this revelation tormented him.

Emma tried to comprehend what her Dad meant. What had changed? He still like smoking, pancakes and reading stories. "No, it hasn't," Emma concluded after careful consideration. "You're still my Dad. You still read me bedtime stories, like pancakes, and smoking. Nothing has changed. So why should I hate you?" she asked, studying her father's face. He looked so broken, a side of him she had never seen before.

"You are right. You don't understand what this is about." Thomas realised, "I'm different, and just that is a reason why you should hate me," explained Thomas, a hint of sadness in his voice.

Emma placed her hand on her father's. "Not for me" she whispered. Thomas flinched slightly under her touch. "I could never hate you. You're my Dad, and I love you," declared Emma, pressing a kiss to his cheek "so very much." Then, her arms found their way around Thomas's neck. She nestled closely to her father. "You're still the person you always were – the one I got to know. I don't care who you love. We always stick together, remember? We're a team... " Emma pasued, "No, we're a family."

His daughter's words nearly brought Thomas to tears. Thomas's tears snaked down his cheek. What was happening here? Why didn't his child scream in horror? Why didn't she run away or avoid him like everyone else who learned of his difference? Why did this little girl stay with him and embrace him? He had expected rejection or judgment, but instead, he felt unconditional love and acceptance.

"Please don't cry, Daddy. I'm here. I'll always be on your side."

For the first time, Thomas experienced an overwhelming sense of unconditional love and acceptance. The torrent of emotions coursing through him was both bewildering and profound. The fact that his child, instead of reacting with fear or rejection, chose to embrace him in the face of his deepest secret, left Thomas in a state of disbelief and profound gratitude. It was a transformative moment, a glimmer of light breaking through the shadows of his past, as he realized that, at least in the eyes of his daughter, he was not defined by societal expectations but rather embraced for the person he truly was.

"I'll never leave you." Emma told him. She gently wiped away his tears with her thumb, a silent gesture of comfort that spoke volumes. In that tender moment, without uttering a single word, she sought to provide solace to her father. The touch of her thumb, a small but profound act, conveyed empathy and understanding, bridging the emotional gap between them. In the quiet exchange, the unspoken language of love and compassion unfolded, creating a space where Thomas felt seen, accepted, and embraced by the one person whose opinion mattered most to him.