Bates Return & A Kiss (June/July 1920)

AN: Thank you all for reading and for your comments! 

She placed a brightly painted stone in front of the headstone before squatting down in the grass in front of it. "Lady Sybil is resting here now too," she reported. With her finger, she pointed to a fresh grave not far from his. "She had a baby, but then she passed away in the night." She began to pluck at the grass in front of the grave. "Sybbie, that's what they named her baby, and Mr. Branson is all alone now, just like Dad is alone with me."

Her gaze drifted upward to the brilliantly blue sky. "I miss you," she confessed. "But somehow, I miss Dad too, you know? Dad only has eyes for the new footman – Jimmy." Looking back at the grave she audibly sighed. She wished so much that he could carry her on his back through the halls, as he did for years before he had to go to the front. If Emma has learned one thing, it's that she hates change. She doesn't like developing new everyday routines or new servants entering her life to replace William. No one can replace William.

"The new footman is kind of odd," she explained. "I don't know if I like him. Alfred was okay at first, but Mrs. O'Brien is his aunt, and the more time he spends with her, the more he becomes like Mrs. O'Brien. And you know how much I dislike O'Brien. She's always so unfriendly, grumpy, and mean. Also, Daisy and Ivy, the new kitchen maid, act extremely strange when Jimmy and Alfred are around."

"Mister Bates is back too, and Mr. Molesley asked Dad if he's already looking for a new job. I realized that Dad is losing his job because Bates is back. And I think that's not fair. Dad does his job well." After all, her father performs his duties conscientiously and carefully.

Emma remained sitting by William's grave for a long time, reflecting on the memories of their time together.

Flashback 1915

"Ah, there's my little sleepy Emmi!" exclaimed William, lifting the small three-year-old girl through the air. "Tell me, did you dress yourself?"

Emma nodded proudly, "I did."

"I see," laughed William, as the little girl had her dress on backward. The servant corrected the mishap and helped the girl put the dress on the right way, "That's it, My Lady."

"William," Carson's voice sounded, "The silver still needs polishing before lunch."

"Yes, Mr. Carson, it'll be done right away."

"No!" Emma's face revealed her famous pouty mouth and the sad puppy eyes. "William, play!" she clapped her hands joyfully. "Play, play!"

"I have to work, Emmi," he tried to explain, but the child wouldn't hear it. Instead, Emma turned to Mr. Carson with her sad puppy eyes, "No work. William play. Please, Mister Caw-son." The butler let out a long sigh, "Very well. You two may play for half an hour, but then the silver will be polished, William," the butler said sternly.

After Mr. Carson had left the servants' hall, William knelt down and opened the toy box. Emma always had a box full of toys that stayed in the servants' hall, so the child could occupy herself during the day while everyone else worked.

"You really have Mr. Carson under control," he chuckled. Emma grinned cheekily, "Grampa Caw-son."

"Better not let him hear that." Together, they played with wooden figures and building blocks before it was time for William to get back to work. But Emma persisted, "Up!" she demanded, and so William lifted the little girl onto his back and began to gallop through the corridors of the lower floor. Emma squealed with delight. Eventually, they returned to the servants' hall, where William gently set her down on one of the chairs. "Now, I really must get back to work, Emmi."