Stand up for yourself (February 1922)

Emma swallowed hard as she looked at the school building. Katherine and her friends were standing at the entrance, eagerly awaiting for her arrival.

"Your Dad said we should fetch him if we need help," Ruby tried to improve the situation, casting a concerned glance at Emma.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea to get him now," Simon chimed in. His gaze was full of sympathy, but Emma shook her head firmly. Her father had taught her to stand up for herself. She had to go through this alone.

Impatiently, Katherine reached out her hand to demand her homework. Emma reluctantly handed her the torn remnants of the notebook.

"What's this? Don't tell me that mutt ate my homework!" Katherine snapped, and Emma could hear the mockery in her voice.

"No. It was my Dad," Emma explained.

"Then just give me your homework!" demanded Katherine, and her two friends each held one of Emma's arms tightly, allowing Katherine to rummage through Emma's school bag unhindered. In the process, she dumped the books into the slush without a trace of remorse.

The 9-year-old bit her lip lightly, close to tears. "My Dad had a suspicion. That's why he personally delivered my homework to Mr. Dawes."

"You know what I'm going to do later, don't you?" Katherine grinned mischievously. "I'm going to throw your watch in the fire." Emma froze. The watch was a gift from her father. It belonged to her grandmother and was one of the few valuable family heirlooms. Emma knew her father's plan had a weakness.

"Why are you always so mean to me? I never did anything to you, did I?" whispered Emma, her voice breaking with emotion. She couldn't understand why Katherine harbored so much hatred towards her.

Katherine laughed scornfully. "Why should I be nice to you? You're a poor girl, soon to be a maid in a few years. And besides, you're too boring to do anything interesting."

"If you really think I'm so boring, why bother harassing me at all?" retorted Emma.

"You're a nobody," shrugged Katherine. "Who cares if I harass you?"

"Me," a figure suddenly appeared beside Emma.

It was Brian Griffiths, a boy from the 5th grade who now stood between Emma and Katherine. Brian had already repeated a year and, at nearly 13 years old, was the oldest student in the 5th grade. He was considered a school troublemaker. No fight, bullying, or other nastiness occurred without his influence.

"Do you want to join in?" Katherine asked, wearing a broad grin.

"Of course," replied Brian. "Shall I share my lunch with you?" After all, he was the son of the owner of the Downton grocery store. Brian pulled out his lunch. Before anyone could react, he smeared the sticky substance of jam all over Arthur's light-coloured shirt, who stood beside Katherine and her friends. A loud cry followed, and Arthur swung a punch that landed directly on Brian's face.

Emma, watching the scene, found Brian's idea brilliant. Unnoticed, she now took out her lunch – mashed potatoes with peas and carrots – and smeared it over Katherine's dress. With a skillful throw, Ruby's lunch landed on Katherine's shoulders and spread into an unsightly stain.

Loud laughter erupted among the students as Katherine stared incredulously at her ruined dress. Her friends tried in vain to wipe off the mess, while Katherine boiled with anger.

"No one gets bullied here without my permission. So, if you don't want to be the next victim, Katherine Prudence, you'd better leave Emma alone," said Brian.

With an angry cry, Katherine charged at Brian, ready to punish him for his interference. And suddenly, a food and snowball fight erupted in the schoolyard. Alongside toast, pastries, and snow, flew also bitter words and fists.