The Consequences (July 1920)

Emma didn't want to eavesdrop intentionally, but she hid in Carson's office while playing hide and seek with Daisy.

"I'm to leave with no reference?" her dad's eyes were almost teary, "After working here for ten years?"

"I'm afraid my hands are tied," Carson replied calmly.

"I'll never get a job now, Mr. Carson!"

She had never seen her father so distraught.

"Please don't think about my future, think about Emma's!"

Carson neither changed his expression nor commented on Barrow's plea. He remained silent, as if he could no longer do anything for the fate of the Barrow family.

"Does his lordship know about this?"

"No."

"Then I'm going to tell him!"

"And how would you do that without telling him everything else?"

"This wasn't Jimmy's idea. Somebody's put him up to it. He wouldn't be so unkind, not left to himself."

"I'm almost touched that you will defend him under such circumstances, but there it is."

Once again, an uncomfortable silence filled Carson's office.

"Can I stay here for a day or two until I figure something out? Or do you want to put a single father and his 8-year-old daughter out on the street?"

"Yes I think I can allow that. But that's the best I can do."

"Thank you, Mr. Carson."

Emma waited until Carson also left his office before slipping away unnoticed.

"Emma! There you are! I found you!" Daisy exclaimed with a wide grin.

Emma forced a small smile, attempting to conceal her distress, "I don't want to play anymore, Daisy."

Daisy's enthusiasm waned, and she furrowed her little brow. "Why not? It's fun!"

Emma sighed, feeling the burden of the situation weighing on her shoulders. "I just... I have a lot on my mind right now."

Daisy sensed the change in Emma's demeanor. "Is something wrong, Emma?"

Emma hesitated, unsure of how much she should reveal to the kitchenmaid. "It's complicated, Daisy. I need some time for myself."

Daisy nodded. "Okay, Emma. If you need me, I'll be in the kitchen."

Not even the craving for a cigarette overcame him as he crouched against the wall outside. He held his cap in his hands, wondering how he could be so foolish to jeopardize his future and the future of his child.

"Mr. Barrow!" exclaimed Mrs. Hughes in dismay. She found the valet in the backyard, outside in the darkness and dampness. "What on earth are you doing out here? I know you're leaving us, but your future can't look so bleak. You're trained now. You can apply for a butler position."

"So, you don't know everything, then?" sniffed Thomas.

"Do you want to tell me everything?" she asked empathetically.

"I'm afraid if I do, Mrs. Hughes, you'll be shocked and disgusted."

"Shocked and disgusted," she smiled. "Goodness. I think I need to hear it right away," and she placed her hand around Thomas, saying, "Come."

Mrs. Hughes balanced a tray with tea and two cups into the room. In the meantime, Thomas had taken off his wet coat and explored Hughes' office a bit. The housekeeper even had a child's table where Emma likely spent her time drawing, reading, and playing while he fought on the front lines. Several of her colorful drawings adorned the walls.