Cricket Match (August 1920)

Thank you very much for all your comments. I'm delighted to be able to read your thoughts again and again. This chapter is, I believe, a bit shorter than the others, but enjoy it nonetheless. We will spend a few more chapters in Season Three before jumping to Season Four in terms of the timeline. Anyway, if you have any ideas and suggestions, feel free to share them with me.

Emma will probably never find out that John Bates did, in fact, help them. After learning the truth of the turmoil from Mrs. Hughes, scheming with Mr. Carson, and speaking with his lordship, the only thing missing was the appropriate weapon to deter Mrs. O'Brien from her plan to drive the Barrows away.

"The prison changed you," Thomas observed with astonishment. "There were times when nothing was bad enough for me as far as you was concerned."

"The prison changed me," confirmed Bates. He entered the Barrows' room for the very first time. He never would have expected Thomas to give so much space to his daughter. Emma's painted pictures brought color to the bare room and radiated a certain coziness.

"Do you know that Mrs. O'Brien is behind this?" Bates inquired.

"I knew it was someone. Jimmy would never have figured it out on his own," Thomas admitted meekly.

"Don't you mind that she achieved her goal?"

"Not really," said Thomas. "The past few weeks have clearly shown that we should start anew somewhere else. Where my daughter will be respected by everyone."

"Without any reference, after 10 years here, you'll never find work again," Bates explained.

"Not in England. I have a cousin in Bombay. Maybe we'll go there. I like the sun."

"Emma doesn't want to leave Downton," Bates emphasized.

"She'll make new friends."

"Don't you understand? It's not just about her friends, but the fact that she knows no other home. This is her familiar environment. She feels comfortable and safe here."

"Do you really think I wouldn't know that? Downton is also the first home I found," hissed Thomas.

It pained Thomas deeply to know that he was responsible for Emma losing her home. He should never have kissed Jimmy. He should never have started a war with O'Brien. He was to blame for the entire situation, and now his child would have no home in just a few days, forcing them to travel abroad. Despite his reluctance to admit it openly, he had grown attached to Downton Abbey. Over the years, he had experienced so much here. Downton had become his home as well.

"What should I do? Mr. Carson won't give me a reference, pushing for my departure, or else the police will be involved! You've been in prison, Mr. Bates. That's not a place for a young girl to visit her father. In other words, I have to leave without a reference to be there for my child."

"There must be another way. You must know something about Mrs. O'Brien that you can use against her!" Bates urged.

"You know the saying. Know when you're beaten. I'm beaten, Mr. Bates. I'm completely and utterly beaten."

"Then give me the weapon, and I'll do the job. What can I say to make her change her mind? So that you can get a reference." Thomas looked at Mr. Bates with wide eyes. Why did Bates want to help him? What benefit did Bates want to gain for himself?

In the end, Thomas gave in and handed Mr. Bates the appropriate weapon. It was her Ladyship's soap. John Bates will probably never find out what it had to do with anything, but it worked, and Mrs. O'Brien backed down from her plan. The Barrows were allowed to stay.