Emma's Idea (July 1920)

The last chapter for this year. Thank you all! Thanks for reading the story and commenting. It truly delights me and motivates me to keep writing. I wish you lots of fun with the chapter and a happy new Year! Have a great start to the new year!

Bates looked down at the girl with empathy. Until just now, he had been glad to finally get rid of Thomas, but suddenly it felt wrong to take away a job from a single father and the home from a young child.

"I'm sure you don't have to leave Downton," he said confidently. Both Mrs. Hughes and his wife would ensure that Emma always had a home at Downton Abbey.

"But..." Emma hesitated for a second, "I'm staying with my dad. No matter where we move, I won't leave my dad alone."

"I hope Thomas appreciates that," doubted Bates, wondering why the girl sided with Thomas. Thomas was far from being a good father. What did he do for the child? Mr. Molesley helped Emma with her homework. Anna provided support and guidance to the child. Daisy enjoyed playing with her, while Mrs. Hughes educated the child, and Mrs. Patmore taught her the basics of cooking and baking. What exactly did Thomas do in her life?

"He's not what you think," Emma said.

Bates sighed. Children seemed to see only the good in everyone. "Do you know who's behind all this?" he asked, and Emma answered with a nod.

"There once was a footman.. he tried everything to get rid of the new valet," Mr. Bates began telling the events of the past in a story. What he didn't expect was that Emma would interrupt him,

"You mean the now evil valet. He didn't drive away the old shady valet; he wanted to find a way for him to leave because otherwise, the little princess is in danger."

"The shady valet," Bates repeated, puzzled.

Emma nodded, "He tried to take the job away from the now evil valet, so he had to act because he had to stay close to the princess."

"I understand," Bates said, "What would the little princess do if she found out that the now evil valet lost his job because of... you know..."

"The giant footman and the nasty maid?" Emma interjected before realizing the implication. The story she believed to be invented all these years turned out to be true. The stories within the story were not made up but actually happened.

The 8-year-old gathered herself, took several deep breaths before rising from the floor, "Thank you, Mr. Bates."

Emma decided to go back into the shared bedroom. Her dad was now sitting in the armchair with a book in his hand. "Did you let Isis out?" he asked. Emma nodded.

"For someone in the rain, you look pretty dry," he remarked. Emma held her breath. Her lie was pointless. Why hadn't she thought of the typical British persistent rain and just stood briefly in the backyard?

"You didn't walk Isis, and you haven't done any of your tasks. I can tell when someone is lying." Placing his book on the nightstand, he observed his child's tense posture closely.

Thomas sighed, "What happened? You know you can talk to me about anything." By ‚anything' Thomas mainly meant the gossip and rumors in Downton. Adults often forget that a child is present or consciously listening to conversations. Fortunately, his daughter had a true talent for eavesdropping.

"Simon is not allowed to play anymore. Since his little sister arrived, he has to take care of the other siblings now," Thomas rolled his eyes. Emma's classmates' lives didn't interest him at all.