Talk, Thirsk & A Box (September 1921)

AN: Thank you for your comments. I'm always happy to see them. You can share your ideas with me anytime. I'm happy to incorporate your wishes.

After the trip to the cinema, the atmosphere between Thomas and his daughter Emma was noticeably chilled. During the movie, they had laughed and enjoyed their time together, but as soon as they left the cinema and returned home, that joy seemed to have vanished. Thomas' expression darkened as they climbed the steps to the Abbey, and Emma could clearly see his mood shift from cheerful to gloomy.

"Maybe we can visit the cinema again. It was really nice and fun," Emma tried to break the sudden silence and reconnect with her father.

"We'll see," Thomas replied shortly, averting his gaze.

Emma was confused and hurt by her father's cold reaction. She tried to cheer him up with conversations and small gestures, but nothing seemed to work. Thomas remained distant and reserved, and Emma couldn't understand what she had done wrong.

The next day, Emma was sitting in the servants' hall when there was a knock at the door behind her. She looked up and recognized her Dad, who was sitting across from her, scrutinizing someone skeptically.

"I'm looking for a certain Patmore," spoke a male voice. Emma hadn't looked behind her, and the voice didn't sound familiar to her.

"What do you want?" asked Thomas, bringing his cigarette to his mouth. Beside her father sat the housemaid Edna. The housemaid had previously tried to engage in conversation with Thomas - without success - as her father was engrossed in the newspaper and absolutely not in the mood for chitchat.

"I have a delivery for her."

"Really?" said Thomas unimpressed, "And where from?" before taking a long drag of his cigarette.

"You're not particularly curious, are you?" the man said slightly annoyed.

"You're not one of our usual suppliers," Thomas retorted snappishly, exhaling smoke.

"Well, if you must know... I've taken over Mr. Corks' shop in Thirsk. Mrs. Patmore sent him an order."

"What's going on? I heard my name being called," said Mrs. Patmore, entering the servants' hall.

"I just explained it. You sent an order to Mr. Corks. Well, I bought the shop and the goods. I thought I'd take the liberty and deliver the goods myself."

"So, you took the liberty," said Thomas, standing up from his seat, "How do you know she wants to do business with you?" and brought the cigarette to his mouth.

"Alright, Mr. Barrow," said Patmore, "I can fight my own battles. Thank you," and turned to the deliveryman, "Where's the order now?" she asked the cook and trotted off to the kitchen. The deliveryman followed her.

Thomas sat back down and picked up the newspaper, while Emma looked down at her homework. The tension between her and her father was unbearable. He either ignored her or responded curtly to her questions. Sharing a room and not being able to avoid each other made even a few days barely tolerable.

Emma bit her lower lip. "By the way, I didn't think it was that great," she confessed. Thomas showed no reaction. He sat hidden behind the newspaper, so Emma couldn't even see a reaction.

"I thought it would be great to be like them," she explained.

"So, you wouldn't want to move up socially if you had the chance?" doubted Edna, "You wouldn't have to worry about the future. You'd be set and all doors would truly be open to you. Doesn't that sound great?"