The New Daily Life (November 1921)

AN: Thank you very much for all your comments. They motivate me to keep writing.

Thomas may seem angry and bitter towards the downstairs staff, but he really is trying his best to be a good father to Emma. Sometimes he can lose control and become loud even with Emma (like the scene where Emma didn't understand why it was better for her not to be in the car). Thomas is trying to be a good father. Many of the servants have a too negative image of Thomas and only see his good deeds much later. If you were to ask Mr. Bates, he would find 100 good reasons why Thomas is NOT a good father. It's also important to remember that Thomas is a young father.

I hope you enjoy reading. We have now reached November 1921. Emma has overcome the loss of Mr. Matthew. A new routine has settled in at Downton Abbey.

Emma lowered her gaze to the ground in the hope that she wouldn't be recognized as she walked through the village. But luck was not on her side. Katherine, accompanied by her followers Beatrice and Harriet, approached her. Arthur was with them too.

"Well, Emma, still in your old rags?" mocked Katherine. "I wonder if you and your father even have enough money to afford a single meal, considering you live off the Crawleys' leftovers."

"Not only that, Emma also shares a bedroom with her father," Arthur revealed.

"Ew," Katherine said disgustedly.

Emma felt anger building up inside her as Katherine and her followers mocked her once again. But when Arthur disclosed the information about her sharing a room with her father, she felt even more humiliated.

"What's so bad about that?" Emma asked.

"Well, it's a bit strange, isn't it?" Katherine interjected, turning to Emma with a smug smile. "A girl your age should have her own room, shouldn't she? But I forgot, you're poor."

The words hit Emma like a slap in the face. She had never thought there was anything strange or embarrassing about her living arrangement. But the way Katherine presented it suddenly made her feel terribly uncomfortable.

"You're just jealous because I have a better relationship with my father than you do," Emma retorted, her voice trembling.

"What should I be jealous of? Having a servant as a father?"

"Stop it, Katherine, or Emma will cry," grinned Harriet, while Beatrice snatched the book from Emma's hands.

"Oh, you haven't heard the best part yet," Arthur said, "Emma's father calls her 'little dwarf'," he revealed with a malicious grin.

"How sweet," commented Katherine as simultaneously a voice behind them spoke up, "Is there a problem?"

Emma looked behind her and recognized Alfred. The giant servant had positioned himself in front of the children by now. Alfred's appearance brought a moment of silence. His imposing figure and stern expression made even Katherine and her followers pause. Emma felt a hint of relief as she saw Alfred.

"I asked if there's a problem," Alfred said in a tone that brooked no argument.

Katherine tried to maintain her composure, though Emma noticed a glimmer of uncertainty in her eyes. "Nothing," she replied with forced casualness. "We were just chatting."

Alfred scrutinised the group skeptically before his gaze fell on Emma, who stood next to Arthur, with a hurt expression on her face. "Doesn't seem like it was a pleasant conversation," he observed, then turned his gaze to Beatrice, "I think you should return the book."