eleven.

Chapter 11: stepping down

"Thanks, mom." Sparky said as Casey handed her and Charlie hot chocolates. The two where doing homework together.

"9x9 is 72." Sparky said. Charlie shook his head. "81?" She asked.

"There you go." Charlie said. Sparky took a drink of hot chocolate and then coughed.

"Hot!" She said coughing more. "Charlie don't drink it yet, it's hot." Sparky said. Charlie nodded his head as he sighed.

"Couldn't tell." Charlie said Sparky looked at him and flicked his forehead.

"Hey. Can I sit?" Sparky looked up to see Gordon by her. She smiled and nodded.

"Of course." Sparky said. Gordon sat down. He sighed and looked at the two.

"You talk to the guys?" Gordon asked the two. Sparky put her pencil down as Charlie spoke about what happened.

"We tried. They think we're traitors for every showing up." Charlie admitted. Sparky nodded her head.

"Connie won't even talk to me she's so upset." Sparky said and Gordon raised his eyebrows. He sighed looking down at the table.

"I guess they really hate me, huh?" Gordon asked. Sparky shook her head.

"Hates a strong word, but yeah they do." She said drumming her fingers on the counter too.

"Is it true you were really a Hawk?" Charlie asked Gordon.

"Yeah."

"Peter said you blew a really big game once." Charlie said. Sparky put her head on her hand as Gordon admitted the truth.

"Yeah, he's right. It was the last game of the state finals. We were tied 2-2 in the end of the third period. I get a penalty shot. I go in, triple deke. I fake the goalie right off of his pads. The pucks headed in, and then... Clang!" Gordon said hitting his fist off the palm of his hand. Sparky groaned "It hits the post. We lost in overtime." Gordon said shaking his head. "A quarter of an inch this way and it would've gone in. A quarter of an inch." Gordon explained to them.

"Yeah, but a quarter inch the other and you'd missed completely." Charlie said making Gordon chuckle in response.

"I never thought of it that way." Gordon said getting the story in a new perspective.

"At least you got to play in a championship game. God, that must've been so cool." Sparky said grabbing her hot chocolate and taking a sip.

"Hey, can I get you a cup of coffee?" Casey asked Gordon, walking over.

"I'd love one." Gordon said brightening his mood. He stared at Casey with a smile.

"You know, she has many fine qualities that men find attractive." Charlie said. Sparky hit his head.

"Shut it, Charles." Sparky said as Charlie held his head.

"I know that, Charlie. That fact hasn't escaped me. So, what kind of guys does she usually date?" Gordon asked curiously. Sparky gave a disgusted look and gave him a side eye.

"That's my mother your trying to get tips on to ask out." Sparky said. Charlie looked at with a smile.

"Jerks. I mean, most of them like her, but as soon as they catch a glimpse of me, then here Sparky talk...Pow! Warp speed! They are gone!" Charlie exclaimed. Gordon looked at the two with a smile.

"Don't take it personally, you two. They don't know what they're missing out on." Gordon said making the two smile.

"Oh, I wouldn't even care, except it's not fair to my mom. She deserves somebody nice." Charlie said looking down. Sparky tapped her pencil on the table as there was silence.

"Are you gonna come over for dinner again?" She asked looking up at her coach.

"I don't know, kids. I'm not sure it's such a good idea. See, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I, um...talked to Jesse and Terry's dad, and he's gonna take over coaching for the rest of the year." Gordon said. Tears stroked the twins eyes and the looked at each other.

"You're quitting?" Charlie asked.

"I'm stepping aside to keep the team together. The guys can't play for somebody they don't trust." Gordon said.

"We trust you. The other guys do too. They just don't know it. You gotta talk to 'em." Charlie said with tears streaming down his face.

"I've done all I can."

"No, you haven't. You gotta tell 'em, you gotta make 'em understand. You can't walk out on the Ducks, we're your team!" Sparky said. Gordon looked at her shaking his head.

"No, you're not."

"We are to! We weren't even the Ducks until you came along. You made us and now you're stuck with us." Charlie said then stormed away. Sparky wiped her eyes and looked at the counter.

"Charlie." Gordon said as Charlie walked out.

"You said it yourself, coach. You said that Ducks fly together." Sparky said upset. Gordon didn't know how to respond. Sparky stood up and started to walk away.

"Hey, Sparky-"

"No, you made us. None of us would be where we are with out you and now your gonna walk out and leave like everyone else!" Sparky exclaimed then ran out of the Diner.

"Sparky!" He exclaimed as the door opened. Sparky ran out and sat on a side walk. She put her head in her hands and cried.

"Hey." Sparky looked up to see Adam again. She wiped her tears and he chuckled.

"Long time no see." Adam joked sitting down next to her. He looked at her jacket that used to be his. "What's with the sad face?" Adam asked curiously. Sparky shrugged her shoulders.

"Coach is stepping down." Sparky told Adam. He looked down at the gravel with a sigh. "Sorry, it's stupid." Sparky said as she wiped her tears away. Adam looked forward as cars passed by them.

"No it's not." Adam said. Sparky shook her head and tried to get up. Adam put his hand on hers to keep her sitting down. "I haven't seen you talk to Connie all day, so, talk to me." Adam said. Sparky smiled and sat back down in the side walk.

"She's mad at me."

"Really? I couldn't tell." Adam said making Sparky let out a tearful laugh. "Seriously, I haven't heard the two of you gossiping in the back of class." Adam joked. Sparky laughed and looked at their hands. Adam's hand was still on hers.

"You're not so bad, Banksie."

"Neither are you."