twenty-seven.

chapter 27: Take My Breath Away

Sparky was sitting on the bench. It was USA against Russia. Sparky was bored as heck. Russ Tyler had taken her roster spot and she'd honestly felt a bit upset. Not that he was playing, but because she couldn't.

The score was 1-1 and she noticed Russ getting ready to shoot his infamous "knuckle puck". It was kind of a shot like Fulton's. Maybe just a bit lest hard. He scored and Sparky started to cheer, as did the rest of team USA.

After the game team USA was in the locker room. Sparky had taken her sling off and had just stuck to the wrist brace. She was next to Adam who was miserable because he thought he'd played horrible.

"Focus's on the next game, Adam. This game is over, it doesn't matter." Sparky said as Adam took his pads off. He nodded his head and kissed her on the cheek. He put his pads in his bag and he stood up.

"I told him no visitors, but he wanted to congratulate you anyway." The couple turned around to see Wayne Gretzky walking into the locker room. The whole team went into shock.

"That's Wayne Gretzky!" Jesse yelled as Sparky dragged Adam up to him.

"Guys! This is the great one!" Charlie exclaimed as Wayne shook Sparky's hand.

"Wayne is fine." Wayne joked with Charlie.

A photographer walked in and everyone grouped up for the photo.

The next two weeks Team USA was practicing harder than ever. They would be playing Iceland again. Sparky was getting better. The swelling went down and she was able to rotate it more.

It was after practice and Adam and Sparky were back on the beach. They were watching the sunset. Sparky's head was in Adam's lap and he had a hand going through her hair.

"Sparky?" Adam asked. Sparky hummed and looked up at him. "A scout came up to me and asked about you." Adam said. Sparky raised her eyebrows as she looked back out on the ocean.

"What'd he say?" Sparky asked him.

"He asked where you were going to high school. He was the Eden Hall coach." Adam said. Sparky smiled to herself and looked down.

"Really?" Sparky asked. Adam nodded his head.

"Maybe you'll get a scholarship or something." Adam said, making Sparky laugh.

"Fat chance at that." Sparky sighed. Adam shook his head as Sparky's fingers went through the sand.

"I don't know, seems like the scouts come to look for you. I haven't seen them at the games ever since you got hurt." Adam said to her. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Where are you going to high school?" Sparky asked him. Adam looked down with a roll of his eyes.

"Eden Hall with all of the preppies." Adam said making Sparky sigh.

"I can't afford Eden Hall." Sparky said. Adam didn't say anything about that. "I'll probably end up at a public high school or somethin'" Sparky told him. Adam nodded his head.

"I'll still take you to all the formal dances." Adam said making Sparky smile a bit.

"You can come to mine as well then." Sparky said now making Adam smile. Adam started to stand up, Sparky lifted her head so he could do so. Adam held out a hand for her and she grabbed it. He lifted her up with a laugh.

"We're gonna dance." Adam said taking Sparky' other hand carefully. It was in a brace, and it was wrapped, but he was still careful.

"We're gonna dance?" Sparky asked him. He nodded as he started to move around with Sparky.

"We gotta practice." Adam said spinning her around.

"Are we now?" Sparky asked putting her head on Adam's shoulder. Adam smiled as he swayed with her

"Yep." Adam said making her giggle.  Adam spun her out and then spun her back in. He dipped her and the two laughed at it.

"Where's you learn to dance like that, Banksie?" Sparky asked as he brought her back up. He put his hand on her lower back and let out a sigh.

"My mom." Adam said. Sparky hummed as he spun her again. She looked at him in his eyes with a smile. Adam looked in her chocolate brown eyes as he smiled back. He leaned in and gave her a kiss on the lips. He put his hand on the back of her head and she put her hand on his cheek.

Take my breath away

Their kiss was cut short and they looked at where the music was coming from. They saw all of Team USA at a fenced area away from the beach. The two laughed at them as Averman held up the stereo.

"You guys stink!" Adam exclaimed as Sparky rolled her eyes.

"Jerks!" Sparky yelled as the team started to sing the song. Adam looked down at Sparky and kissed her forehead.

"You really do take my breath away, Caroline Conway."