forty.

chapter 40: Dinner Party

Sparky was staring at her plate at dinner the next day. She hadn't eaten since lunch the day before. Adam had truly broken her heart. She was next in between Rick and Adam.

She had fully avoided Adam. "What's with your sister and not eating food?" Rick asked Charlie. Sparky rolled her eyes.

"Shellfish allergy." Charlie excused for her. Rick sighed as Sparky took a sip of her water.

"I think they cooked it all together." Charlie said looking down.

"Waiter, can I get an 8 ounce steak. We've got a shellfish allergy." Rick said. A lot of the Varsity started to chuckle a bit. Sparky and Adam furrowed their eyebrows at that. Why were they laughing?

A little while later, Sparky was given some steak. She cut it herself and ate a few pieces of it.

Rick stood up a few minutes later a tapped his glass of water. Sparky looked up and wiped her face with a napkin.

"On behalf of the Eden Hall Warrior Varsity State Champion hockey team, I'd like to welcome the future state champs, the Eden Hall freshmen." Rick said. He lightly tapped his glass again and lifted it up. "Here, here." Rick said to them. Everyone cheered with him and Rick put his glass down.

"We're just glad you loaned us Banksie and your Spark so that we'd have a chance to beat you guys in the annual Freshmen-Varsity Showdown." Rick said putting his hand on Sparky's shoulder. He patted her in the back and she oooked down at her light blue dress.

"Now, nobody move. We've got in last surprise." Rick said. Sparky furrowed her eyebrows and Rick sighed. "Fellas?" Rick asked. The Varsity team started to stand up, and Sparky and Adam sat there in confusion.

"Caroline, Banksie." Rick said. The two stood up confused and Sparky walked away from Adam quick as possible.

"Don't worry, we'll be right back." Rick said. He opened the door for the team as everyone walked through. He patted the two freshmen on the back as they walked through.

"What's happening?" Sparky asked. Rick put his around Sparky's shoulders and looked down at her. Adam looked over an jealousy as he touched his ex.

"We're giving them what they deserve, sweetheart." Rick told her making Adam even more angry. He rolled his eyes as Rick walked her out.

Their "revenge plan" was to have the JV pay for their dinner. They gave them a huge cake that said "Thanks for dinner, losers."

Sparky walked to the car as Rick kept his arm around her shoulder. Sparky didn't look at him as she was a bit uncomfortable. "Don't you have a girlfriend?" Sparky asked as Rick opened the passenger car door for her.

"I plan on dropping her in a couple of days." Rick said. Sparky got in the car and put her seat buckle on. Rick got in on the drivers side and started his car.

"Heard you and Banksie broke up." Rick said. Sparky stayed quiet. "Can't believe he did that to you." Rick said. Sparky looked out the window and she took a deep breath.

"Especially with Carly Lottner. She's a whore." Rick said starting to pull out of the lot. Sparky bounced her knee and Rick looked at her knee and placed a hand on it.

"What do you say you go to the winter formal with me?" Rick flirted as he put his hand go up higher to her thigh.

"Let go of my thigh and I'll give you an answer." Sparky said looking over at him. Rick let go the second she asked him to and put both hands on the wheel.

"Sorry, didn't mean to step over any boundaries." Rick said. Sparky shrugged.

"It's fine." Sparky said. She let out a sigh and looked out the window.

"So?" Rick asked her. Sparky looked at her hands and back up at him.

"You're not embarrassed to go with a Freshman?" Sparky asked him. Rick rolled his eyes and turned the car.

"Not if the Freshman is hot." Rick said. Sparky raised her eyebrows. "So what do you say?"

"How do I know you won't ditch me?" Sparky questioned.

"You have horrible trust issues." Rick said. Sparky shrugged her shoulders.

"I've got good reason to." Sparky said and pointed down the street.

"If you go down there and take a right should be an apartment building." Sparky told him. Rick nodded his head and kept driving.

"I won't ditch you. I'm not an idiot like Banksie."

"But you're leaving Mindy."

"Mindy has cheated on me more than once, Caroline. I'm not doing it because I'm bored." Rick said with a laugh. "We can go as friends." Rick said. Sparky nodded her head up and down.

"I can do that." Sparky told him. He went down the street and stopped in front of her apartment.

"So, what do you say. Wanna join me?" Rick asked. Sparky smiled and nodded her head.

"Sure." Sparky said. "And thanks for the ride home." Sparky said, Rick nodded his head.

Sparky went to unlock the door but she was locked in. "You locked me in." Sparky said, Rick apologized and un locked the car door.

"My bad." He said. Sparky hopped out and smiled at him.

"Thanks." She said and then close the door.

Maybe Rick Riley wasn't such a dick after all.