thirty-one.

chapter 31: farewell

"Thank you. It's a great honor to be here today to introduce you to a truly great group of kids. Sure, they can be a little rambunctious. They've run me ragged and played more than fair share of pranks. I still haven't forgotten about those eggs." Gordon had said to the Ducks. Every single one of them was given a scholarship to Eden Hall for Hockey. "But I hung in there and they hung in there for me. We became the quack attack, the flying V and the bash brothers. I've never had a better time. These kids are winners, every single one of them. But more than that, these are good people. I hope that they enrich and enliven your school and your lives the way they have mine. Now I hand you over to the capable hands of my old biology teacher and the current headmaster of Eden Hall, Dean Buckley." Gordon said. Gordon walked off the podium and to the crowd.

"Gordon Bombay has a lot to be proud of . We are happy to welcome the Ducks to our grey education institution. So, today it gives me great pleasure to award you these full athletic scholarships to the Eden Hall Academy" Dean Buckley said. The Ducks were applauded by the crowd. "Where we hope the Ducks will be happy Warriors and lead us on to glory and divisional championships." Dean said to them. Sparky looked into the crowd and saw her mom applauding them with Gordon next to her. She took a picture of her and Charlie who were smiling at each other.

"I can't believe how much they've grown." Gordon said as he turned to look at Casey. "I think maybe I should tell them first." Gordon said. Casey nodded in agreement with him. What he was going to tell them was about his job. He was going to be the Director of the jr. Goodwill games.

"I think that's a good idea." Casey said. After the speech Casey followed Gordon over. "I got to get a picture of you three first though." Casey said. Gordon chuckled and when he walked over he saw Adam and Sparky talking to each other.

"Okay, love birds break it up. Adam you're to close, distance yourself please and thank you." Gordon said. Sparky turned her head to him with a frown. Adam let go of her hand and he nodded.

"Would you quit it?" Sparky asked him. He chuckled as Casey laughed slings

"Yes, coach." Adam said. Sparky rolled her eyes with a sigh.

"Twins, can I talk to you two?" Gordon asked. Sparky nodded her head.

"Of course." Charlie said. The three walked away as Gordon tried to find out a way to say what he was about to say.

"The school looks stuffy, but we'll loosen it up. Huh, Coach?" Charlie asked turning to look at the lake near them. Gordon didn't answer, he only sighed.

"You ready for another year?" Sparky asked. Gordon looked down and put his hands in his pockets.

"Im not gonna be your coach this year." Gordon said. The two laughed as if they thought he was joking.

"That's a good one coach." Sparky said looking up at her brother.

"Yeah, very funny." Charlie said.

"I just got the official word. The Junior Goodwill Games Committee has named me Director of Player Personnel. Im gonna be in charge of their junior hockey program worldwide." Gordon said. Sparky put a hand through her hair and looked around.

"Well, don't go." Charlie said as tears went into both of the twin's eyes.

"Charlie, I can't pass up this opportunity."

"But you can pass us up, right?" Sparky asked him. Gordon looked down. "You dump us in this school with a bunch of preppies and now you're leaving us?" Sparky asked.

"Caroline, I'm not dumping you anywhere. Eden Hall is a great chance for you." Gordon said. Sparky looked away shaking her head.

"Charlie, Caroline, I will always.."

"Coach, please...don't go." Sparky said. Gordon looked down and shook his head.

"I know it's hard, I understand what your going thr-"

"No, no. No, you don't understand. You obviously don't even have a clue." Charlie said walking away as he shook his head.

"Spark, I'm-"

"You said the Ducks were for life, and that we fly together." Sparky said. Gordon put a hand on her shoulder. Sparky shook her head as a tear went down her face.

"I know, okay, kid-"

"Don't call me kid." Sparky said shaking her head and shrugging Gordon off of her. "You promised me that you'd never leave. I put all of my trust in you, and then you decide to pack all your bags and leave." Sparky said.

"Caroline, you know I love you and your brother like my own-"

"So then why are you leaving. Stay, coach!" Sparky told him as tears started to stream down her face.

"Sparky..." Gordon said. Sparky shook her head.

"I trusted you, coach." Sparky said. Gordon looked down. Sparky wiped her tears away and looked up at Gordon. "You told me you'd never go. Coach what am I supposed to do with out you?" Sparky asked. Gordon put his hands on her shoulders.

"You don't need me! Look at how much you've achieved, you won MVP at the Goodwill games, you have colleges looking at you, Sparky! What more would you possibly need me for?" Gordon exclaimed trying to make her know how much she's done to ease up the pain of him leaving.

"Who is supposed to be my dad!" Sparky exclaimed. Gordon looked down as tears pricked his eyes. He knew he was the only father figure in her life, but he never knew he'd hear it out of her mouth. "What do I do when everything goes to shit, coach? It always happens, what do I do when you're not around? Who am I supposed to talk about it with, who's supposed to give me advice?" Sparky asked.

"You call me and I'll get the first flight back here." Gordon said wrapping her into a hug. Sparky cried into his shoulder as Gordon blinked away his tears.

"I love you so much, kid. You can do it."