Ominis

The undercroft was colder than usual, her absence seemingly stolen all traces of warmth from within. 

"You're sure she hasn't answered your owl?" Sebastian's question only fueled my frustrations further.

"I may be blind but I'm not daft or... that unobservant."

"And you're quite positive she said she would be staying here over break?"

"Yes."

Sebastian began pacing, "Okay... she wasn't in the common room this morning, nor did I see her in the great hall. Perhaps she is with Poppy?"

"Poppy has gone home for the break. I overheard them talking about it in class."

"Well, she has to be somewhere in the castle. Come on, put that big brain to work." His carefree attitude was quickly becoming irritating.

"She promised not to go running off on her own ever since- since..." a wince stopped me from continuing. Memories of the scriptorium and the catacombs began resurfacing to the forefront of my mind.

Last time she disappeared we had found her in a near catatonic state at Fig's grave. Surely... she isn't there?

She would have told us.

Perhaps...

I shook my head to clear it.

"I know." Sebastian's pacing had halted, "you don't think... she's in trouble... do you?"

Like last time.

"Something feels wrong, I don't know how to explain it. It just... does." Something had felt wrong all day. I couldn't shake the feeling.

"I'm sure you are overthinking it but-" he resumed his walking, "stay here, I'll be right back."

"Seb-" the question died in my throat as the door to the Undercroft slammed shut.

Great. Now I have two people to worry about.