Sebastian

My fists were screaming, I was screaming. "You will not hurt Ominis! You will not hurt Olivia! You will not hurt me again!"

The red that coated my vision subsided as a cracking sound met my bruised knuckles. His face was ghastly. Good. The world settled back into place around us.

I leaned down to his ear, "it is in poor taste to cast a spell at someone who has their back turned, not to mention cowardly and pathetic." His eyes jerked to my face but he didn't respond. "The only reason that you are still alive is because I made a promise. But the next time you touch something that isn't yours, I will end you. And I will enjoy it."

His body stilled, "you- you... those are fatuous threats. I'm not afraid of you." 

A feral smile stretched across my face, my lips dangerously close to his ear. "I killed my uncle, I will not hesitate to kill you."

A cold, calculated whispered truth. One that could no longer be proven. The puzzle pieces seemed to connect as his eyes grew in size. He could attempt to turn me in but that would only lead to him incriminating himself.

I slipped off of him, sending one last look in his direction. A silent promise, filled with murderous intent. He stayed silent and did not rise.

Ominis was hovering over Olivia, treating her as if she was a cornered animal. His fingers wound in her hair. Her sobs echoed off the walls and fueled my anger.

Her eyes went wide in terror for a brief moment and then her body sagged into his arms.

What the fuck just happened? Oh god is she-

"I'm sorry, it will only last until you are safe." He scooped her body off the floor. My heartbeat slowed as I realized what he had done.

His parents were watching him, expressions ranging from horrified to gobsmacked. The remaining pieces of the archway slipped into place, four more lackeys ran in.

"We are leaving."

"Ominis-"

"I am leaving." Ominis' voice was level, eyes fixed forward. "They are all I have left and I will not lose either. I'm done playing this game."

"You are expected to uphold your duties as a Gaunt heir, do not assume you will go unpunished for this insolence."

"You misunderstand me Father, I will not be returning and you can not stop me." I slid into position by his side, shoulder brushing his. In acknowledgment and solidarity. "I revoke the fortune, this forsaken manor, and I revoke the Gaunt name."

His mother's jaw dropped, face going scarlet.

"I will no longer tolerate either of you forcing me to do tasks that I do not agree with. If there is a career I wish to pursue, it will be my choice. I will not engage with any consort, if I wed it will be for love and not because I'm heir to an untainted bloodline."

"Love? Don't be naive, Ominis. Love is for fools."

"Well, consider me a fool. For I am in love with-" his words came out rushed and breathless. "with... her."

I couldn't control the flinch. The noises in my head went quiet, an uncomfortable numbness glided along my skin.

Ominis... is in love with Olivia? My Olivia?

An uneasy silence enveloped the room. He adjusted her in his arms, I wasn't sure if it was for necessity or just something to do with hands.

Ominis' mother cleared her throat, "if you walk out that door, do not ever come back. Do you understand me? If I ever have to look at those deformed eyes again, you will be punished for this insulting display. I do not care if you are my son, you will never feel sunlight again."