chapter one

001a hard day's nightseason one, episode one !

001
a hard day's night
season one, episode one !

"Right, this is where I leave you." A small smile etched it's way onto Jacob's face as he gripped the handle of his backpack, standing on the steps outside of the hospital. He turned his head to the side, focusing his attention on the petite blonde beside him. She was looking up at the sign above them with an exhilarating beam on her face and a positive glint in her eye.

"Marn?"

The soft glint in Marnie Walkers' eyes disappeared, her brows lifting slightly when she was pulled out of her trance, turning to face her brother, "Sorry. What did you say?"

"Are you alright?" Jacob asked her, noticing the look on her face.

"Yeah." Marnie assured him, the look of awe returning to her face as she gazed up at the sign once again. Seattle Grace Hospital: North Entrance. "I'm alright."

After a mere ten minutes of scurrying aimlessly around the hospital, Marnie found the correct room, internally cursing herself when she saw the amount of interns that were already in there. There was nothing she hated more than being late. Thankfully, she managed to slip in before Dr. Webber began his speech, much like the dirty blonde who followed her in.

"Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors."

The Chief of Surgery proceeded to turn on the light, leading the interns into the empty OR.

"The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition."

Marnie did as she was told, staring intently at the interns around her, sending a small smile to each one of them.

"Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five will crack under pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you."

Once they'd been shown around the operating room, the batch of new interns were sent to their locker room to change into their scrubs, whilst another doctor read out a list of the residents they were assigned to. "Only six women out of twenty." The dirty blonde spoke up, catching Marnie's attention as she swung her stethoscope around her neck.

"It's ridiculous, isn't it?" She retorted, earning a nod of agreement from more than one other interns.

"I hear one of them's a model." A curly-haired woman chimed in with a swift scoff, shoving her leather boots into her locker. "Seriously, that's gonna help the respect thing?"