chapter fifty one

051a change is gonna comeseason four, episode one !

051
a change is gonna come
season four, episode one !

Marnie Walker's heart raced with anticipation as she sauntered through the bustling corridors of Seattle Grace Hospital, her new white coat, with her name carefully embroidered on the front, hugging her shoulders as she did so. She struggled to hide her Cheshire Cat-like grin as she clutched her clipboard in one hand, and opened up the door to the interns locker room with the other.

Once she stepped inside, she took a moment to admire the organised chaos around her. There were at least twenty of them, mingling and laughing with each other, and behind each pair of light blue scrubs was the potential of a brilliant surgeon.

A year ago, she was one of them.

With one final deep breath, she peered down at the list of names on her clipboard, "Adam Kelly, Freddie Valentine, Chantelle Moore and—" Her tone softened upon reading the final name, "George O'Malley."

The new interns immediately rushed to the front of the room, leaving the latter to trail behind as they followed Marnie over to the nurse's station.

"Good morning." She beamed, "My name's Dr. Walker and I have five rules. Memorise them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up to me. I like the look of all of you, and as long as you do your jobs correctly, that's not gonna change."

She grabbed four pagers from the desk behind her, handing one out to each of them.

"Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers. The nurses will page you and you will answer every page at a run - a run! That's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts 36 hours. You're grunts, nobodies, the bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, and you work every second night until you drop. And you don't complain."

She then lead them into a nearby on call room, switching on the light.

"On call rooms. You sleep when you can, where you can, but not with anybody, if you can help it. Rule number three, if I'm sleeping, do not wake me up unless a patient is actually dying, which brings me to rule number four - the said patient better not dead when I get there because, not only will you have killed someone, but you would have woken me up for no good reason. Does anybody have any questions?"

Whilst the three men remained still, the Moore girl huddled between them sheepishly raised her hand in the air.

"Yep?"

Chantelle bit her lip. "You said you had five rules?"

The Walker woman pressed her hands on her hips, smirking triumphantly to herself when her pager sounded, "Rule number five, when I move, you move."