chapter twenty

020owner of a lonely heartseason two, episode eleven !

020
owner of a lonely heart
season two, episode eleven !

"I have the best quint." George suddenly spoke, breaking the silence in the NICU as the intern's intently watched their assigned babies. "Lucy. She just smiled at me."

Izzie raised a brow, turning to the O'Malley man beside her. "She's nine hours old, George."

"I'm just sayin'" He shrugged, "There are five babies here, and clearly, mine is the advanced one."

"Charlotte's smart." Meredith interjected. "She's got wrinkles on her forehead, very serious."

The tall blonde merely rolled her eyes. "Okay, A, it's not a competition, and B, my quint kicks your quints' asses. Emily's strong."

"Hey, Julie has her organs on the outside of her body, and she's still alive, thank you." The Yang woman scoffed, resting her chin on her hand.

"You're all wrong." Marnie shook her head, smiling softly down at the baby with her tiny hand wrapped around her finger. "Just look how cute Kate is. She hasn't let go of my finger for three hours."

"Kate's the best one." Alex announced as he trudged into the room, taking a seat beside the blonde at the incubator. As the pair were late to the surgery, and because there were only five babies, he and Marnie were both assigned to Kate.

As he sat down opposite her, the Walker woman looked up from the preemie, giving him a small smile. He returned the expression, before pulling his eyes away from her and turning his attention to the baby.

"Who's on call tonight?" Dr. Bailey asked, pulling off her blue surgical gown as she waltzed in to the NICU.

The group of interns all turned around at the sound of her voice, as Izzie stuck her hand up in the air, "I am."

"Alright." Their resident nodded, eyeing the six of them. "The rest of you go home. Sleep. All five quints are still alive. It's a good day."

So, the interns, beside Izzie, stood up from their seats and pulled off their gowns, making their way out of the room. Marnie began walking down the hall with a tired sigh, completely unaware of the brunette who was following after her.

"You up to finishing what we started?" Alex suddenly whispered in her ear, causing her to jump.

The blonde let out a shaky breath, stopping in her tracks and turning to face him. Her gaze fixated on the smirk upon his lips, causing a flutter in her stomach. "Okay."