chapter forty six

046scars and souvenirsseason three, episode eighteen !

046
scars and souvenirs
season three, episode eighteen !

Marnie was lost in her own thoughts as she stood outside the NICU. She was leaned against the ledge, her arms were folded over her chest and she had the sleeves of her sweater stretched over her hands in a bid to accommodate the slight chill she couldn't seem to shake off.

She wouldn't be able to tell you how long exactly, but she'd been stood there for a while now, just staring aimlessly through the window. She wasn't staring at anything in particular, just trying to distract herself from the thoughts swirling around in her head. She was so caught up in them, in fact, that she failed to notice Jacob joining her by the ledge.

The siblings remained still for several minutes, gazing through at the tiny babies, before the brunette broke the silence.

"What's wrong?"

His gentle tone pulled the blonde out of her trance, causing her to turn her head. "What?" She hummed, making eye contact with him, "Why would you think something's wrong?"

"Because you've got that look on your face again, and we both know you only come up here when something's bothering you." Jake stated matter of factly, giving her a small smile in an attempt to comfort her. "So, what is it?"

Marnie could only shake her head weakly, turning and looking back through the window. She had to admit, the soft, blue glow of the incubators inside the room were making her feel slightly more at ease.

"I can't tell you." She uttered.

The pediatric resident nodded his head, pulling his eyes away from her. If there was one thing he knew about his sister, it was that she was as stubborn as they come. If she didn't want to tell him, she wouldn't. But he also knew that if there was something wrong, bottling it up would only make it worse. If he was going to get it out of her, he'd have to be strategic about it.

"Okay," He cooed after a beat. "But you know I'm always here."

But Marnie wasn't stupid. She knew exactly what he was trying to do. "Alright, fine." She breathed, turning around and pointing her finger up at him, "But before I tell you, you have to promise not to get all big brother-y and judgmental. Okay?"

"Well, it depends. What have you done?"

She glared at him, "Jacob."

"Okay." He sighed, quickly nodding, "Okay, I promise."

The Walker woman suddenly felt that dreaded feeling return to the pit of her stomach. The words had been circling her brain for the past week, but now she actually had to say them out loud - and that made them real.