13. Chapter Thirteen

" God is good," 

"All the time, He is good," Lan sung a happy tune as he walked into the penthouse that evening.

" Not only has God given us a pro signer but a drop dead gorgeous one. A red head, I better call nana and tell her I'm getting in a month," He said loud enough so Noah could hear him.

Lan attempted to bark out a laugh, Noah shook his head in amusement.

Under normal circumstances Noah would have chuckled at him, his voice a little thin and funny due to the injury but Noah could only offer a half hearted grin.

Something was eating him up. Noah knew that his little brother did not like him, but this much ? This was a little too much!

Nevertheless, he still acknowledged Lan's attempts to cheer him up, " When you do, call me to bless your wedding,"

***

It was Friday on the 21st that Lily reported officially to work, the summer favourable for the structured fitting orange dress she had on. If it were not for Christine insisting, she would not have worn something that did nothing to hide the outline of her curves, as a girl known to only don on loose and formless clothes, she felt very uncomfortable especially when Sampson's gaze lingered when he dropped her off. There was nothing wrong with the dress but Lily was not that kind of girl.

She was a mix of raging emotions, first she was upset that even Sampson's jokes did nothing to her  that morning, how could she be  when her only close friend's remains might have bee squashed beyond recognition under a cursed pointed nail of a shoe.

What upset her most was that she could not find the roach anywhere: before she left, she  had checked everywhere; on the counter top; in the creaks adorning the kitchen corners- nothing.

Lily was in distress.

It was just a roach, roaches are not even pets

Realistically, Lily was not supposed to be mad but that roach was the only thing she could call a friend and Martha managed to take that too! 

May her shoes break into half! 

May her poodle starve and die !

She was being cruel but she did not care, Martha deserved no pets if she could kill Lily's roach.

When Lily walked into the lobby, Lan was already there and he smiled warmly at her, she noticed Lan had a small strip of bandage on his nose right from the day before. He sounded a peculiar too.

"I broke my nose, "He said, when he met her questioning gaze.

"Sorry,"Lily muttered then frowned at him.

Lily could not possibly understand how Noah could work with Lan, they seemed like two polar opposites; whereas Noah was the kind of suit and tie guy with a calm but authoritative aura,  Lan was the typical bad boy in graphic tees and jordan with a playful, charming but deadly aura.

Lan was the kind of guy ladies would easily swoon over, not Lily however.

She had her eyes on a very disinterested billionaire of a church man who swiveled about in his seat regarding her only once with a bored look when she stood in front of his desk in his office. Lan far behind her, leaning carelessly on the doorframe. 

Lan was all smiles, mostly directed at her and she was grateful for it, it lifted her spirits a little.

"LAN HERE SHALL RUN YOU THROUGH YOUR SCHEDULE AND DIRECT YOU TO YOUR OFFICE. YOUR DUES SHALL ALWAYS BE CLEARED WEEKLY, ANY MORE INFORMATION SHALL BE RELAYED TO YOU ON A LATER DATE. DISMISSED,"

Noah immediately made a call.

Ouch!

Not even a second glance.

Lily was wrapped up in her bubble of thoughts and did not even notice that Lan had taken her up a flight of stairs and she was in front of an office.

"This will be your work station,"

Unlike all other offices in the buildings, this had a subdued lavish touch, simple neutrals.  A roundish table and few scattered antiques and china, it was her preferred style. Lily appreciated it, a beam of a smile gracing her face, "thank you."

"And this right here is your schedule,"

Lily started studying the sheet of paper handed to her.

He smiled at her and turned to leave,"I will leave you to it then"

***
And finally Lily has a job.

Let's wait and see if she can deal with workplace drama