24. Chapter Twenty-four

For I fully satisfy the weary soul and I replenish the languishing and sorrowful person

Jeremiah 31:25

Noah kept repeating over and over in his head.

The Lord is my strength and salvation,  he had muttered over and over, not caring that everyone with the exception of Lan and Lily would rather have him confess atrocities he did not commit.

" TELL US NOAH, YOU INSIST THIS MAN ON THE COVER IS NOT YOU BUT SEE, A BIRTHMARK JUST LIKE YOURS ON THE SIDE OF THE NECK THAT THE CAMERA MAN HAS ZOOMED ON INTENTIONALLY,"

At that moment when everyone was busy staring at the newspaper and Noah was racking his brains for a sensible denial on the matter, a bulb lit up in Lily's head.

"Wait, everyone !" She started, capturing the attention of everyone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much for your genuine concern for this matter but  have you all realized that this man on the cover of the paper, however the deep resemblance with Mr. Ruiz,he is in sunglasses ...always ! If they were certain it was him, why could they not capture him without them at least in single moment but all these times, this man is in sunglasses no matter how different the moments were. This does not seem to make sense at all !"

There was silence, they were thinking- considering it.

Noah wondered what she had said, that the people's faces were changing. They now looked unsure of themselves, as if they did not know what to believe.

Noah nudged her. What did she say ?

Lily raised a finger, a promise she would explain later. In that moment of silence, Mr.Valentino spoke up, "Indeed, I agree with the lady. Afterall, aren't we all aware of Mr. Ruiz's reputation. This is a multi-billion project with more returns once it shall be completed, many rivals in the business world could be responsible for this. I say, let us give our boy a second chance. I personally will input more funds into this and more shares into the company till this project is done and Noah receives the accolades he deserves,"

Noah sighed in disbelief after Lily had signed,

He had just witnessed a miracle.

It took awhile for the men and women to slowly nod, even the blonde whose glare was permanently etched on her features had a soft look. 

He did not hesitate, Noah for the remaining part of the meeting decided to discuss the benefits of his innovation. 

***

It was one oçlock and Noah was back in his office.

Lan knocked and entered.

" Mate, if you don't apologize to Lily -"

"You need to stop always assuming that I am wearing the aid,"

"I am not assuming anything. That thing is bigger than your ear, its obvious, it basically looks like an elephant flap on the side of the head,"

"You did not just insult me Lan,"

"I will again, if you do not apologize to Lily. Bold of you to assume she had something to do with the newspapers,"

"Yes, I made a mistake,"

"A very grave mistake,"

"I was wrong to assume,"

"You should be ashamed of yourself,"

" Lan don't you dare forget who you are talking to,"

"Today , I am not Lan but I am the voice of reason,"

"Lan, enough. I know I am wrong and I should say sorry,"

" You are always mean to her, Noah,"

"What do you mean ?"

"Remember the manilla incident,"

"I am not apologizing for that ,"

"Why ?"

"What do you mean 'why'?"

" It is was not fair,"

Lan rose from his desk, stood  and walked towards the glass wall behind the desk, facing the overview of the city. He frowned deeply, "Lan, what do you want exactly?"

"I want you to admit you are in love with this girl ?"

"Who said I was in love?"

 "But you assigned to her a driver ! "

"Lan  every staff in this company has an assigned driver Lan. I just assigned Peter to her because I trust him,"

"I don't have a driver !"

"Lan,we live in the same house and leave at the same time and share a driver !"

" I still know you are in love or do you need to ask permission from your God to approach her ?"

"Lan if you do not leave this office this minute ,"

"Man, I don't know how this bible stuff of yours works. Its like you always ask God permission about everything in your life, you sure you ain't obsessed ? I mean this is your love life, you should have a say in it,"

"I don't ask God permission Lan, I have a relationship with him so I talk to him about everything. My life is his, he gave it to me, yes I do have a say about my love life, he lets us do what we want but because I trust him, I consult him about everything,"

"Complex stuff, anyway, I'm delivering the parcel at Valentino's see you at home,"

"Bye Lan,"

"Pray for me, will you ?"

Lan turned, his lip slightly tipped up in an amused smile, as the door closed,"I always do Lan. I always do."