A Date for Two

"Rick There is something you should probably know. Morty-"

"Yeah I know, he's got a boy crush on you. Why does that matter, you aren't together...are you?"
He gave me a puzzled and pained look

"No, but he asked to move in. You know, like a roommate."
"Tell him no." He pleaded.
"Already told him yes."
"Fuuck." His head dropped to the floor his mind was racing.

"Rick if he was been waiting this long for a chance to have a date with me don't I owe him at least a date?"
I mean I still want to be mad at Rick but I can't. I love him, and after 5 years of ignoring him, I still do. On the other hand, Morty has shown me nothing but kindness and support. He deserves a shot.

"Morty is a kid and you owe him nothing. He is choosing to sit at your feet and has for years. You owe nobody anything." His tone was cold yet factual.

While Morty never asked you on a date it was clear that he had a crush on you, but not once has he asked me out or...hinted...
"We could be together" that's what Morty said. Not that we could live together but that we could BE together. How long has he been hinting at stuff like that and I have not noticed it?

"Rick... I may owe Morty this one."
I took some time to tell him about what he had said.
"I need to give him a chance Rick before I can give you an answer. Morty deserves a chance just as much as you do."

Rick huffed and pouted like a child before trying to play it off. Taking his hand in mine, I helped him up and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
"Come with me."

I lead him out to the living room where Morty was quietly rocking back and forth on the couch waiting.
"Morty, Rick. It's time to clear the air. You both care for me romantically, and I feel the same for each of you. I will give each of you 1 date to see how this goes. I think the both of you deserve a fair chance so I'm setting some ground rules."

Rick sits down on the couch but leaving a fair amount of space between him and Morty. A deep sea welding torch could not cut through this tension

"First. This is NOT a competition over who can have the best date. So if you mess with the other's date it will be nothing but shameful to you.
Second, nothing fancy. I'm not impressed by where we go or how much is spent. These dates will be time between me and you. Not your ego.
Lastly, if I choose neither of you that is MY choice.
You are earning my love not winning it.
Do we have any questions"

Morty gave a quick response and promised that he would respect the rules.

"Morty no matter the outcome you are still welcome to rent out the basement if you would like, but we can wait till this is over if that would make you feel better."
"I would love to move in still. A-A As long as it's okay."

Rick scoffed but the look in his eyes was clear. He was planning and wasn't trying to lose.
Morty looked confident almost sinister but stuck his hand out to meet Rick's.

"May the best man win, Rick."

"I'm betting on it, Morty"

The both of them shook hands and I let out a big sigh.
Morty chuckled and quickly took my hands and painted a soft smile on his face as he looked up at me.

"(Y/N), tomorrow at 9 am will you go out with me?"

So soon! I don't think I thought this through enough. I wanted to be honest with both of them but even though I know this isn't a competition but they are fired up.

Before I could answer Rick chuckled and unpaused the finale we were watching before all of this started.
"Jesus Morty, give her some time to breathe. No need to rush."

He locked eyes with me as he patted the spot right next to him. My heart was racing and it took a lot not to jump over the couch to sit next to him.
I quietly walked around with Morty riding my coattails, his hand in mine before settling into our spots.

Morty sitting on the floor with his back against the couch.
Rick sitting in the corner one arm around the edge of the couch.
Me laying down beside them with my head in Rick's lap, his hand on my side.
My left-hand scratches Morty's head before my eyes flick up at Rick.

He was staring at me hard his face a light pink; adjusted my head in his lap.
I quickly turn my head back to the TV and try to focus on the show.

My eyelids were heavy after 2 days of no sleep and before I knew it I was asleep in the lap of a criminal with my hands on my best friend.