II.

Chapter Two.

After an intense and very heated conversation with Tyler, Justice and Jace made their way to Ilani's school which was Abraham Elementary. Once they pulled up, they could see all of the children ranging from pre-k to fifth grade exiting the building since it was dismissal time.

Cars were lined up and filled with parents who were waiting to pick up their children, as well as two bright yellow school buses that were in a separate lane designated for all of the bus riders.

Jace parked across the street, and both he and Justice got out.

"You might wanna stay right here. I'll go get her since she's more familiar with me. Yo' big buff ass might scare her away." Jace said, causing his brother to suck his teeth in response.

"Whatever, nigga." Justice said, waving him off.

Jace then pulled up his jeans as he walked towards the school. Once he made it across the street, he went to the area where all of the fifth graders were and told an administrator who he was there to pick up.

They released Ilani to him, and he immediately grabbed his niece's hand. The only reason Tyler allowed Jace to be around his niece was because he made an effort to stay in contact with her and be apart of her life while Justice was gone.

For the first five years of Ilani's life, Ty was very distant from any and everyone within the Bennett family. She wanted no ties to them, so she went under the radar. It was almost as if she fell off the face of the earth.

Eventually, Jace happened to spot Tyler at a grocery store one day and expressed his interest in helping out with Ilani and stepping up since his brother couldn't be there to take on the responsibility.

With Tyler being as stubborn as she was, she declined that offer but Jace was adamant. After tons of convincing, she gave in but she made him promise that he wouldn't tell Justice.

Though Jace was still in high school at the time, he took whatever money he had and gave it to Tyler to buy Ilani clothes, shoes, etc. It wasn't much but he did what he could.

As they walked back across the street with one another, Justice could feel his stomach doing literal flips.

He'd be reunited with his daughter after eight years. This felt like a dream come true.

Once Jace and Ilani carefully crossed the street, they approached the vehicle. Justice was leaning against the side of it, patiently waiting.

Ilani paused at the sight of her father's tall frame. She eyed him down, taking in his appearance. Tilting her head to the side slightly, she was unsure of who he was and why exactly he was leaning on her uncle's car.

Part of her was intimidated by him due to his array of tattoos and hard demeanor. He honestly looked scary.

"Uncle Jace.." She finally spoke, tapping his leg while her eyes never left Justice. "W-who's that?"

"Lani...you know how I always told you I have a brother, and how he had to go away for a while?" Jace started out, trying to think of the best way to handle this conversation.

"Yes." She nodded.

"Well, that's him." He pointed towards Justice. "That's my brother...and that's also yo' pops."

Ilani remained silent, trying to process what Jace was saying. She always wondered where her dad was and if she even had one since her mother never brung him up. The times she tried to ask, Tyler simply would dismiss the conversation or switch the subject. She didn't like discussing Justice at all.