VII.

Chapter Seven.

Kitana sighed as she moved around her now empty classroom, tidying up the desks and straightening them. Parent night was over, so she was just making sure her room was in order for when the students came back in the following morning.

Placing some miscellaneous loose leaf papers in the paper bin, a knock on the classroom door caught her attention.

"Knock knock." A familiar voice said, causing her to turn around. She was met with the face of her best friend and co worker Morgan, or as the kids called her, 'Ms.Hanks'. She taught the class that was designated for special education children.

"Hey girl." Kitana gave her a faint smile, now standing at the white board with a black Expo marker in hand. She began to write out the agenda and objectives for Tuesday.

"Hey miss lady, how did things go this evening?" Morgan questioned, heels clacking as she fully entered the classroom. She was dressed in a peach toned blouse with tan slacks and nude pointed toe stilettos. On her head sat a peach colored headband, holding her silk pressed hair back and out of her face.

"Very well, actually. I was able to allow the parents to explore the classroom and talk with them a little about what the kids learn daily. It was a nice experience." Kitana told her.

"Aww, that's great Tana." Morgan smiled, calling her by her nickname.

The two women met during a summer training for teachers. They instantly clicked, building a bond just from being partnered up for ice breaker activities.

Morgan had been teaching since she was twenty two, but this was her first year being a teacher at this specific school. Kitana on the other hand was a first time teacher in general, so she was still learning and growing as an educator.

"So, did you see any fine fathers?" Morgan inquired with a mischievous grin, causing the other woman to chuckle.

"Girl, please." She waved her off, before pausing. "Well, actually there was one.." Kitana mumbled, tilting her head to the side.

"Really? Ooh girl, tell me all about it." Morgan hopped up on one of the desks, now invested.

"It's my student Ilani's father. I sadly didn't catch his name but he sure was something handsome. Tall, brown skinned, long locs, full lips, and from what I could see, he had tattoos on his hands and neck." Kitana described Justice to the t, causing Morgan's eyes to widen.

"Girl, you better jump on that." She told her friend.

"Nope." Kitana shook her head. "That would be highly inappropriate, plus there's a chance that he still might be with Ilani's mother."

"Damn, that is true." Morgan sucked her teeth. "Well, let's hope for the best cause he sounds fine."

"Indeed he is." Kitana capped the marker and placed it in the metal holder attached to the board, before giving her room a once over. It was now clean and back in place.

"Whew, now that that's done.." She trailed off, going over to her desk to grab her purse and car keys. "Ready to go?"

"I was ready to go when I walked in at 7:00 this morning." Morgan joked, gathering her things as well and hopping off of the desk that she was sitting on.

The pair would always make sure to leave out together in the evenings due to the fact that they were typically the last teachers to go home.

Kitana and Morgan headed to the door, and Kitana flipped the light switch down. She then shut the door, locking it with her designated key.