XXXIX.

Chapter Thirty Nine.

January.

One month. It had been exactly one month since the passing of Jace. A piece of Justice died along with his brother, and he just wasn't the same anymore. Sure, he was here physically but mentally? He was gone.

He barely slept at night, only ate here and there, refused to leave the house unless he had to take Lani to school or ship out packages for 0809, and remained quiet for the most part. Justice had taken on the role of a zombie. He moped around the house and wallowed in depression. His skin had become dull and bags were starting to form from the lack of sleep. On top of that, he couldn't even remember the last time he'd gotten his dreads retwisted.

When Jace's funeral was held, Justice refused to go. He didn't want to go through the process of seeing his brother laying there, stiff and cold. Or having to hear the slow melancholic music, witness the crying and screaming, be told 'sorry for your loss' or asked 'how are you holding up?'.

Overall, it was just too much. Mrs. Bennett was mad at her eldest son for not attending, but he didn't care. She'd get over it just as the rest of his family would. Justice hated funerals with a passion. Growing up, his grandma always told him that the purpose wasn't to be sad, but to celebrate the life of that person. He didn't believe that, though.

Sitting on the couch with a blank expression on his face, Justice had nothing and everything on his mind at the same time. Half of the time, he had no idea what was even going on around him. The male would zone out, going into his own little world. Imagining that Jace was still here and making up scenarios in his head helped him to cope, and essentially feel better.

"Baby?" A soft voice called out. Justice then felt a hand being placed on his shoulder, snapping him from his thoughts. He looked up, seeing Kitana standing there with a plate in her hand.

"I made you a BLT sandwich." She offered, holding the plate out to him.

"Not hungry." He spoke lowly, looking away from her.

Tana sighed. Justice wasn't eating, and it was starting to become noticeably visible. He was dropping weight, which wasn't good due to him already being on the slim side. Any more weight loss and he'd damn near be non existent.

"I figured, but you have to eat som-"

"Bro, I just said I'm not hungry." He cut her off, his voice coming out more forceful this time. Justice's whole attitude was now different as well. He snapped on the people around him, was very short tempered, and didn't like to be told what to do.

Kitana pressed her lips together, sitting the plate on the coffee table before taking a seat next to her boyfriend. She grabbed his tattooed hand, placing it in hers.

"Can we talk right quick?" The woman asked hesitantly.

Justice huffed, now becoming slightly annoyed.

"Wassup?" He asked, not much emotion in his voice. Truth be told, he wasn't down for talking. He wanted to be left alone. If he was still young and immature, he would've kicked her out. Pregnant and all.

Tana paused for a second, gathering her thoughts. In no way, shape, or form did she want to trigger Justice and piss him off but it needed to be said.

"I think that you should strongly consider seeing a grief counselor-"

"Nah." He shook his head, snatching his hand away from hers.

She frowned, "You didn't let me fini-"

"I don't care. I don't need no doctor telling me that I'm mourning the loss of my lil' brother and how to get over it. The shit ain't rocket science. I'll shake back eventually." He spat.