1: Authority

"You'll see me in hindsight, Tangled up with you all night
Burning it down
Someday when you leave me, I bet these memories
Follow you around"

~-~-~

Around 7 in the morning, I entered my kitchen after a long run. After taking a bottle of juice, I headed to my room where Chelsea was asleep.

Roxy had been her stage name and now, Chelsea Xander was my wife. Young, beautiful, and already two months pregnant. After all, money could buy anything.

She stirred awake when I sat by the edge of the bed. My wife smiled in the sweetest way possible and sat up to hug me. "Good morning, love." She kissed my cheek.

"I'm going to take a shower," I replied.

"Stay in bed longer, please?"

"No."

I shook her away and got up to undress. She immediately ran to the bathroom and I heard her wretch. It was sadistic but her morning sickness made me proud. Ignoring all noises, I stepped into the shower and let the water take over me.

***

I was eating breakfast while scrolling through headlines on my phone when Chelsea came down the stairs in a pretty white dress. "Good morning, Mrs.Xander." Our housekeeper, Lara, smiled at her.

"Good morning, Lara!" Chelsea leaned over the counter like a child. Trent, my driver, appeared near the kitchen as well. "Good morning, Mr.Xander, Chelsea." He gave her a brighter smile.

"Good morning, Trent!"

She sounded like a toddler every time she talked.

"Sit down and eat," I told Chelsea without looking up. She obeyed and Lara handed her breakfast.

"Trent will pick you up for the ball in the evening, I'll be going directly."

"But I don't feel like it."

"You're going," I stated.

"I'm eating in my room," she muttered and rose with her plate.

"Make sure she eats and sees the doctor," I told Lara.

"Yes sir."

The day rolled on like usual and in the evening I drove to the venue for the ball. I called Chelsea, "Where are you?"

"We'll be there in half an hour."

"Hurry up." I gritted my teeth. If my own wife wasn't punctual, I didn't expect anyone to be.

***

Almost an hour later, Chelsea showed up with Trent. "You're late," I snapped at both of them. "Do this one more time and you're fired, Trent." I warned him and led Chelsea by her hand.

I gently caressed her stomach, "Did you see the doctor?"

"Yeah... She said there's nothing to worry about."

I introduced her to most of my business partners. The men were eyeing her as though she were dinner—they were all jealous. But Chelsea remained quiet most of the time. It was strange but relieving. I led her to the dance floor and wrapped my arms around her waist. We danced a while in silence until she decided to speak.

"Do you love me, Leo?"

"We were over this. Don't call me that," I tightened my grip around her waist.

"I am your wife. Of course, I'll call you that!" Her eyes were furious.

"Don't call me that, Chelsea." I glared back.