e p i l o g u e

LUCY'S BIRTHDAY SPECIAL!!!

"Easy there," I picked up my little girl, who was desperately trying to climb over the table.

"Ahh! Here they come with the cake, sweetheart!" Chelsea squealed, and even Lucy was excitedly squirming in my hands.

"Hey-"

She kicked my stomach.

"Calm down, Lucy." I sighed and secured her tightly in my arms. As her last attempt to free herself, my Cupcake tugged at my collar. She was searching for my tie. Knowing how that was her favorite plaything, I didn't take the risk of wearing it today.

"Look at the candles on the cake! Ah!" Chelsea clapped her hands, and promptly the waiters around us did the same.

"Cake," Lucy pointed at the lump of chocolate. It was Chelsea's personal choice, of course. I was pretty sure that Lucy had tasted dark chocolate less than three times, yet she was addicted to it.

"Happy birthday, princess!" Chelsea cupped our little girl's face and kissed her. Lucy was laughing now, just like her mother.

"Da... Cake!" She tapped on my chest, then at the plate.

"As impatient as her dad," Chelsea nudged me and I shot her an annoyed look.

"Where's the knife? Wooden one," I turned to the waiter next to me.

"Er... Right here, sir." He handed me a blunt one. There would be no accidents under my supervision.

"Blow the candles, honey!" Chelsea urged and showed our little girl what to do. Of course, she was pretty experienced in blowing. When all the candles had gone out, the waiters and Chelsea clapped again.

"Hold it tightly," I whispered as Lucy squeezed the knife in her hands. She was so excited by everything and everyone around her that her legs were constantly kicking me. I enveloped her hand in mine as everyone began singing the birthday song, Chelsea being the loudest among the spectators.

Slowly, I helped her cut a tiny piece. Chelsea picked it up and fed it to our little angel, who howled in joy. I smiled at her as she did the same when I fed her.

"Happy birthday, Cupcake." I kissed her cheek. Lucy wrapped her hands around my neck, then kissed my face multiple times before giggling and burying her head in my neck. She could easily get shy in such situations, especially since we were surrounded by strangers. They dispersed quickly.

"Thank you for agreeing to this little celebration," Chelsea turned to the hotel manager. She didn't have to thank him. That man's boss was directly under my command and if the lowly manager wasn't going to listen to Mrs.Xander's request, he'd be inviting trouble.

"Of course ma'am, it's the least we can do. We're grateful that you're staying with us."

"Yes, we-"

"We should get going," I wrapped an arm around her waist. She glared at me, I glared right back.

"Uh... Will you be touring Paris again tomorrow?" The manager asked in his thick French accent.

"Yes, there's still a lot to see," Chelsea grinned.

"Okay, then I'll arrange the same car as today-"

"I won't be joining. She'll drive alone," I replied, "I have meetings."

The manager glanced at us both, "I'll arrange a driver-"

"No drivers," I glared at the man. "She knows to drive. She'll handle it on her own. That's all."