4: Anew

"Leaving to find my soul, told her I had to go
And I know it ain't pretty when our hearts get broke
Too young to feel this old, watching us both turn cold
Oh, I know it ain't pretty when two hearts get broke"

~-~-~

As I walked down the road, a single thought haunted me. I had to make money. Even if I had to stoop low, there was no other way.

In the month that I stayed utterly useless, I had thought over all the things that had happened so far, and most of it didn't make sense. The day I clicked the link that Mr.Choi sent, it seemed to be some Trojan Horse virus. But it took action immediately and killed my laptop. When I checked later that morning, even my smartphone had blacked out, and the only thing I had was my cell.

Nothing in my life was making sense anymore.

But I couldn't let my child starve to death.

After Chelsea gives birth, she could take care of the kid for the rest of her life while I find a way to take back my company. I wouldn't let her completely own my child though, it would be only until he's capable of doing things on his own.

While I was busy thinking through my possible future, I heard someone running my way. Before I knew it, the jerk grabbed the wallet from my pocket. It was the last bit of money that I was saving for beer. He wasn't having that.

I grabbed his coat but he slipped out of it and ran down the road. Even though he was quick-footed, I ran after him. "Stop!" My yelling made only a few heads turn.

For a moment, I forgot that it was every man for himself in the real world.

I chased after him, alley after alley, till I saw him hide inside a small building. I ran after him, "Bloody asshole!" I yelled.

But when I entered the place, I saw that he wasn't alone. There were about four men, sitting next to what looked like a worn-out boxing ring.

"Shit..."

The guy who robbed me yelped in pain when I punched him. He crashed to the floor and I was about to punch him again when someone pulled me back. It was the bulkiest guy in the group, "Don't touch my brother!" He yelled at me and threw me against one of the boxing bags that hung from a beam.

"Give me my wallet." I glared at them. They all seemed much younger than me, except for an old man in the group. He seemed to be in his late fifties.

"I told you not to steal, Chuck." The old man glared at the whining boy, "And you! Don't lay a finger on him!" He yelled at me and snatched the wallet from Chuck.

"You came a long way for this measly amount of money," He raised an eyebrow after going through my cash, "You must be poor, huh, ballerina?"

My patience snapped.

I stormed towards the old man and grabbed his collar.

The men around me froze.

They didn't even attempt to save him when I raised my fist to land a blow. It made sense why, as he dodged it with ease and I felt a punch on my face before I could comprehend anything.

"It's been a long time since I danced with a ballerina," he chuckled. I was sure that my nose was bleeding.

"Hold this, Chase." He handed his shirt to the bulky older brother and took the stance of a boxer. "Come on, ballerina," he taunted with a smirk.

My pride was too high to turn him down.

I wiped the blood off my nose and raised my fists, but charging at the old man was a bad idea.