17: Family

"I'll do whatever it takes
I put my hands in the flames
I'm not gonna lose you tonight
I'd rather lose my mind"

~-~-~

Jim wiped the blood off of my nose while I kept panting against the ropes.

"Why did you come?" I turned to Chelsea who had Lucy in her arms again. The rich kid and his friends were busy making jokes with Fred at the other end.

"You were gone in the morning. You didn't call. I was so worried!"

"Why the hell did you bring Lucy!" I yelled.

"You can't just expect me to leave her alone at home!"

"Chelsea-"

"Stop, for god's sake!" Jim squeezed my shoulder. "They're here and there's nothing you can do about it. How many fingers am I holding up?"

My vision was still blurred.

"Two?"

"Good lord..." Jim sighed, "Can you see?" He patted my cheeks.

"My head is spinning..." I muttered.

We heard the bell again and Jim hopped out of the ring hesitantly. "And round 2 begins!" The boy yelled and came around Chelsea again. She held Lucy close to her.

"Leave her alone fuckers!" Jay lost his mind and punched one of his friends but he eventually got beat up by the rest. Chase was still unconscious and Jim tried to take the baby but the rowdy gang pointed their guns at him.

"It's pretty sad that the kid is going to watch her father die," one of them snickered. "Don't listen, Lucy," Chelsea whispered and pressed her ears close while kissing her head.

"Daddy's going to kick their ass."

I dodged Fred again and it was clearly working him up. He became more aggressive and I had an opening to land a jab. It worked and he stumbled back a few steps.

"Yeah!" Jim rejoiced and I saw pure happiness in Chelsea's eyes.

"Why the hell are you smiling?" The rich boy yelled at her and pressed the gun against her neck.

In the split second that I was distracted, Fred got the chance for an uppercut and he used it well. I was thrown against the ropes and it felt like I broke my jaw. Before I knew it, he landed a right hook. Just as I was about to fall on my knees, the veteran punched my abdomen without mercy.

I coughed blood and collapsed in the ring, face down.

The world around me went black.

I couldn't see anything.

I didn't have the strength to get up anymore, let alone fight.

The voices around me were fading.

"Leo! Leo! Get up! Please! I can't lose you!" I heard Chelsea's sobs.

"Get up, Mr.Xander!"

"The old guy is dead! Hah, great job Fred!"

"Wake up ballerina... Please..."

"Someone call an ambulance!"

The rest was muffled.

I couldn't hear anything anymore.

Even the sound of my heartbeat was getting fainter and fainter, like the ringing in my ears.

But then, there was another sound.