Meeting the parents

I'm currently sitting at my dinner table with the rest of my family and Jungwon. I sat back in my chair watching my parents and him talk, I can tell my dad was already fond of him. They were cracking jokes left and right, my dad being the outgoing person he is.

My mom on the other hand, she was more reserved. I can tell that she was just trying to observe Jungwon, trying to see if she approved of him or not. It was obvious to me that he was feeling a bit under pressure, with the stares of my mom. Though, he was handling it well, still displaying his confident and friendly self.

In all honesty I wasn't even planning on telling my parents about me finally dating someone. Not because I was ashamed of Jungwon, it was anything but that. It's just that I didn't want to deal with their questions and probable scolding, telling me that a boyfriend is the last thing I should be worried about right now.

I had expected that one of the twins would catch on eventually and just snitch on me that way I wouldn't have to directly tell my parents myself. I mean in a way I did, I was texting Jungwon and the conversation went something like this.

"Iseul what are you smiling at huh? You texting your boyfriend?" My dad said in a teasing manner. Something he always joked about when I would laugh or smile just too much when I was on my phone. It was never the case but this time It was.

Me being the most obvious person in the worst time, tried to deny it. "What? Psh, no!" But of course I just happened to have a stupid smile on my face because of something Jungwon, my new boyfriend, had just said.

"Uh-huh," he looked at me skeptically before abruptly grabbing my phone and reading the contact name. "You are!" He looked at me with a look of disbelief.

"Is this that one kid from the other night?" he whispered, still holding my phone above his head.

"Shh!" Due to his lack of awareness to his surroundings and inability to whisper quietly, he didn't even pay attention to my mom who was walking in the room hearing the entire conversation.

"Yah!" She walked up to me with a flabbergasted expression, "You have a boyfriend?"

"Um, maybe..."

She just smacked the back of my head slightly, "why didn't you tell us? Invite him to have dinner with us I want to meet him."

"We already met him, he's the guy who came introducing himself at the twins birthday" my dad said handing my phone back and I just mouthed a 'thanks a lot' to him for exposing me.

"Oh him? Didn't he also come once before?"

"Oh that's right, he did" He nodded.

So that's how I ended up here having dinner with them. I think it's going to pretty well to tell the truth. I'm really hoping my mom doesn't say anything to scare him off. I actually thought she'd be more against me being with anyone right now. Surprisingly she wasn't, she was more shocked than anything.

I think this is how Jungwon felt whenever he said that I liked his mom more than him, except it's with my dad. I understand, my dad is pretty lovable.

Finally after many bombarded questions towards him, we finished eating.

"Can I help you clean up?" He asked my mom already picking up some of the empty dishes on the table. My mom just gave me a look, a small smile appearing on her face before she spoke.

"Oh no no, don't worry about it. Iseul will help me. I'm sure the kids want to play with you for a bit." She waved him off before grabbing the dishes from him and handing them to me.

"No really, I can help-" she just cut him off and nudged him to the living room where the rest were at.

"No we're fine. thank you, but go." She finally made him go away after he thanked her for the meal.