01 - And There Was So Much Blood

01 — And There Was So Much Blood

She could taste the bitterness of her own blood as his palm collided against her bruised cheek. The burning blossomed across her skin, her eyes blurring as threatening tears dwelled in them. The polished marble floor was stained with crimson as the blood fell from her split lip. Disoriented, she blinked away the daze and straightened herself as she clutched the armrests of her wooden chair. Her skull pounded, and for a blessed moment, she listened intently to the slow melody of her heart thumping deep within her. She felt somewhat ridiculous for feeling envious of an unaware organ. Her heart was encircled with warmth and capable of making a steady rhythm while she hopelessly bled and bruised and ached.

His calloused hand grabbed her chin, and his manicured fingernails sunk into her skin as he yanked her head upward. "Let's try this again, shall we?" Her blood stained his hand and if the smears fazed him, he didn't express a flicker of emotion as his gaze burned into her. "What are you, Odessa?"

She released a shaky breath as she stubbornly kept her eyes on him. They were glossed, and her lashes clumped together as they threatened to spill over. His suit was pristine, dark, and devoid of color. If she hadn't been strapped onto this rickety chair, she never would have thought he was ruthlessly tormenting someone. She narrowed her eyes, unwavering. "A warrior," She said through clenched teeth. And as he glanced at the red smeared over her teeth, a small smile rose. He was pleased. And he slapped her again.

He casually pulled a pearl-white handkerchief from his pocket, carefully wiping her blood from him as if it were poison. "So act like it." This was the title Odessa was forced to uphold when the time arrived. The supposed destiny she was bound for. This was ingrained deep within her mind and Sifewood made certain she would never forget it. This overwhelming pain was becoming frequent and repetitive. A single mistake and she would instantly be restrained, occasionally gagged, and endure whatever he decided was an appropriate punishment. And as his hand collided with her bruised cheeks, she could never dismiss the eerie glimmer displayed in those detached eyes.

She watched as he studied the crimson on his expensive cloth as if the splotches withheld a dark secret. He was undoubtedly pleased with himself. There was always that sick and perverted delightment radiating from him whenever he tormented her, sliced and bruised her skin. She also knew she was his favorite. "Go fuck yourself." The words stung as she spat at him. His expression darkened as the smirk was replaced with a displeased frown. She didn't have enough time to brace for the impact as his bare knuckles crashed into her cheekbone. She released a strangled gasp and nearly toppled over but his outstretched hand grasped the backside of the chair and stopped her from falling onto the floor. "Again."

As the depraved thrill reemerged on his expression, Odessa closed her eyes tightly. The anguish crashed throughout her in harsh waves. She released a slow breath and refused to allow the tears to stream down her bruised cheeks. She wouldn't give him an ounce of satisfaction.