Prologue ; A Series Of Unfortunate Events

*I've been informed her name is traditionally spelled 'Odessa De Los Santos' so please ignore those mistakes until I go back and edit them :)

Updated Cover Credit — gihlbert

Warrior.

This was the inscription Odessa was entitled to indulge when the time was right. The destiny she was supposedly bound for, fated in near future. The apparent probability was something Odessa was frequently reminded of by Connoisseur Sifewood when he arranged their private meetings. Their confidential confrontations were becoming weekly; two times a week. Odessa personally dreaded their encounters. There was something unusual about Sifewood's behavior when communicating with herself and the other students. His sickeningly engaging tone as he complimented her accomplishments for whatever reasoning he mustered. Perhaps it was the eerie glimmer swirling in his iris' as he offered and poured scorching tea into her mug.

Odessa refused to attempt to understand those who worshiped Sifewood for his outrageous demands and promises he had yet to fulfill.So, she settled with her studies. She was continually ridiculed for her devotion for the emblems scattered amongst her golden skin. However, the disdaining mockery didn't affect Odessa, for she knew her name would be engraved in history for her importance. The derision was only a fraction of the contempt the other envious students held for her.

She was merely preferred more than others. The Connoisseurs favored her capabilities in the battlefield. Her strategic efficiency, potential in hand-to-hand combat along with weaponry, proficiency in deception and manipulation, and mastery in the complex arts of seduction. To simplify, Odessa was solely a committed soldier in the eyes of the Connoisseurs. However, the only thing the raven-haired woman was dedicated to was achieving a rank in the Elite.

So, perhaps, when the Organization of The Elite was invaded and bombarded with demons and imperceptible hellhounds, Odessa's accomplishments and prosperity demolished along with the walls of the Organization. She could recall the agonizing cries as if the invasion were yesterday, the smoke that resembled the shade of the cloudy skies, the blood spattering across the marble pavement as her mother's throat was slashed by the creature's broad claws. She could also remember the sense of a paralyzed sensation as she gazed at her father slashed into shreds with terror and wide eyes.

The warrior was unsure of what her future would have in store; revenge or forgiveness. Days after the multiple deaths and destruction, she was sure acrimony was all she was capable of expressing. She desperately desired to experience the sensation of when she would exorcise the pests back into hell. To hear their cries of agony when she doused them with holy water and salt.

Her grip on the leather steering wheel tightened as the dreadful memories began to resurface from the void she once created months back.

Odessa stood behind the Organization's ceremony room's door, veins pumping with crimson and adrenaline. She couldn't conceal the toothy grin forming on her wine-stained lips. She continued to fiddle with the white-gold snake bracelet, circling the metal endlessly around her wrist. A nervous habit, one she developed several years prior when she first received the trinket. It brought her reassurance when she desperately needed it.

The sound of heels clicking against the marble flooring brought Odessa out of her daydream and back into reality. She released her grasp on her bracelet and focused her attention to the woman who appeared to be an older version of Odessa. "Mother," She said, swiftly sauntering to the lady. "You actually came. Is father and Costello with you?" She questioned, freeing from her mother's firm embrace. She examined her mother's apparel, grinning in satisfaction with the color coordination. She wore a sky blue cocktail dress that fell just below her knees, black high heels that were much too small in Odessa's opinion, and her hair was styled in an updo as strands of her ebony hair fell from the braid on her hairline.