04 ; Onyx Coated Skies & Conversations At Nightfall

The distressed Guardian remained awake as the moonlight's rays seeped through the window panels and cascaded upon her skin

            The distressed Guardian remained awake as the moonlight's rays seeped through the window panels and cascaded upon her skin. The sound of engines revving from the distance could be deciphered and created a delightful ambiance in Odessa's mind-boggling rambles in the midst of morning. If she were to position herself properly, she was capable of observing the horizon gradually convert from the onyx-stained skies scattered with dazzling stars to the blend of rose and lilac as the sun rose from the mountains. Memories of her mother began to resurface as she gazed intently at the horizon.

            Odessa was perched wordlessly as her mother applied the concealer of her shade under her eyes with a tender nature. She examined her reflection as Moira circled around the younger Guardian. She'd grown visibly pale all throughout her face, and her eyes appeared hollowed. The whites of her eyes were tinted of branches of crimson veins and her bottom lips quivered as she sniffled repeatedly. Odessa felt uneasy as she surveyed herself through the mirror, the woman in the mirror hadn't resembled the courageous warrior in the slightest.

            The raven-haired Guardian scrutinized Moira as she positioned the ebony foundation brush on the surface of the tabletop which contained the heaps of various cosmetics. Moira sighed heavily as she closed her eyelids tightly. "I'm not disappointed," She declared, re-opening her eyes as she glimpsed at her daughter's reflection. "Odessa, something you must understand is there are some people you simply cannot save. That is something Guardians, including your father, forget often. As tragic as it may seem, people die and there is nothing you can do to change that."

            Inhaling sharply, Odessa nodded timidly as she attempted to gather her composure. She opened her mouth to speak, but immediately pursed her lips before the words escaped. Apprehensively, Odessa spoke her thoughts aloud. "Yeah, I know," Her tone wavering with each word. "I know there was nothing I could've done, but what father said—" She swallowed the lump forming in her throat. She was reluctant in speaking harshly of her father, frightened he'd somehow hear and scold her. The chances of Drexel, her father, eavesdropping on their conversation were fairly low, nonetheless, Odessa was weary.

           Odessa flinched as the frigid metal of the necklace her mother clasped around her neck came into contact with her skin. Releasing a hushed gasp, her fingers tenderly grazed the engravings the golden necklace contained. Promptly as she grasped the trinket, she perceived the material was identical to her bracelet enwrapped on her forearm.The ruby reflected the light from the ceiling, resembling the disco balls she once saw on a given assignment from Sifewood. "Mother," She mumbled, glancing at Moira with wide eyes. "Thank you." She was quite speechless from the artistic workmanship of the inscriptions and patterns.

             Moira crouched to reach eye-level of Odessa, whose eyes were widened in a considerable size. She settled her hand on her cheek, thumb caressing just below her eyes. "Odessa, I mean it," She stated, "You will not be capable of saving everyone, but you cannot allow it to haunt you." All forms of enthusiasm were demolished on the younger warrior's expression. Odessa nodded meekly as she peered down at her ebony heels, suddenly feeling somewhat better. Rapidly, her fingers reached to fiddle with her newest accessory. With hope blazing in her mocha eyes, she asked to display the beauty chained around her neck.